Forum Discussion

SerenaWong-02c4
Community Member
11 days ago

Triggers not working - please help

Can anyone see why my triggers don't work? I have created 3 rectangles (1. Strategy, 2. Finance, 3. Budgets) that can be clicked in any order. When each are clicked, the user will be directed to the corresponding layer (1. Layer Strategy, 2. Layer Finance, 3. Layer Budgets). When the video ends on each layer, it returns to the base layer. Once the user has visited all 3 layers, the next button should turn from 'disabled' to 'normal'. All default states of the rectangles are set to 'normal', with a 'visited' state also built into the states section. The button is 'disabled' as default, with a 'normal' state also available in the states section.

• Serena,

Your file has a trigger that changes the Budgets button to Normal when it is clicked. That's preventing it from being Visited.

FYI: You don't need triggers to change a button to Visited, because that's a built-in state. Any object with a Normal state and a Visited state will automatically change to Visited when it is clicked. See it work in the attached file, which has all of the change-state-to-Visited triggers deleted. 

Also, you could use fewer objects to simply your buttons. For example, fill a rectangle with a picture of a folder. Enter the name directly in the rectangle. You can even add a checkmark in the Visited state, so there's a visual indicator that the button has been clicked. There's an example of this on the second slide in the attached file. 

• Serena,

Your file has a trigger that changes the Budgets button to Normal when it is clicked. That's preventing it from being Visited.

FYI: You don't need triggers to change a button to Visited, because that's a built-in state. Any object with a Normal state and a Visited state will automatically change to Visited when it is clicked. See it work in the attached file, which has all of the change-state-to-Visited triggers deleted. 

Also, you could use fewer objects to simply your buttons. For example, fill a rectangle with a picture of a folder. Enter the name directly in the rectangle. You can even add a checkmark in the Visited state, so there's a visual indicator that the button has been clicked. There's an example of this on the second slide in the attached file. 

SerenaWong-02c4
      Community Member

Thank you SO much Judy - this is a really huge help. I didn't make the 'budgets button to normal' error in the original file, but still couldn't get it to work. Thanks for sharing the trigger settings :)

JudyNollet
        Super Hero

You're welcome! 

Inadvertently selecting the wrong option in a trigger is a mistake we all make. 

Giving everything a meaningful name (as you did with naming the button-rectangles 👍) helps prevent those errors, and makes it easier to spot them when they do occur. Still, I'd say trigger-option errors are the first thing to check for when something isn't working. 

• Hi there, first glance it could be the order that the triggers are in, try moving the next button to the bottom, Articulate can be funny with the positioning of triggers its looking at each in turn (thats my guess) so it gets itself in a pickle and doesnt do what you expect it to do....just my opinion... though there are more "experts" on here who may have other suggestions.. let me know how you get on.

SerenaWong-02c4
      Community Member

Thanks. I also thought it might be the order, but the ability to reorder is greyed out :\

• Hi Serena, take a look at the attached file, I have it working on triggers and layers... is this what you was trying to do?  You willnotice I still have the next button in the player, but that is set to hidden when the timeline starts, this could be why your triggers didnt work? :0/

SerenaWong-02c4
      Community Member

Thanks for taking the time to look into this :) I have a physical button on the slide that says 'next' rather than the standard navigation. Maybe that's creating the issue because it's the only thing that is not the same as your setup. Visually I would want the button on the screen rather than using standard nav if possible.

SerenaWong-02c4
      Community Member

Can you spot any differences in the setup? I tried to replicate what you did but with my background image in. I also removed the image in case that was creating the issue, but it still doesn't work.

SerenaWong-02c4
      Community Member

Sorry just realised the file hasn't uploaded. It might take some time even though it's not a big file - slow speed on my end.