Forum Discussion

ElizabethWil622
Community Member
3 months ago

Help with triggers

I need the user to select 10 out of 16 possible personality traits. On the next slide, I will display the 10 the user selected and have the user then select 5 out of the 10 that they selected. The last slide will show the final 5 traits they selected.

I currently have each trait as a shape with a picture fill of a button and text typed in each. 

How should the triggers/conditions work?

• An object with a Normal state and a Selected state will automatically toggle between those states when it is clicked. You could also trigger the buttons to toggle a T/F variable to track which ones are selected: False for not selected and True for selected.

Unless you use JavaScript, you'll need to keep the options in their same positions on the following slide. I'd have the initial state of all of them be Hidden. Then, for each one, use a trigger that changes it to Normal if the associated T/F variable = True. 

FYI: These posts might help:

ElizabethWil622
      Community Member

Thanks for the reply Judy. I've got the first slide figured out, finally. For the next slide, Upon hitting submit, how could I take the variables that are marked TRUE and save them into 10 new variables (Answer1, Answer2, Answer3 etc)? Is that possible, so I can create a similar layout as my screenshot but only use 10 buttons? (So that it looks like the image below)

ElizabethWil622
      Community Member

Thank you for the video! That is almost exactly how I ended up doing my first slide. I guess if I only want to show the 10 that the user selected without showing the unselected buttons on the next slide would be with Javascript unless I hide them...my goal was to be able to center/reorder the user's selected buttons on the next slide. I appreciate all the help.

• just to add, the user should be able to select and de-select each button so the variables will need to adjust for that.

• when the slide loads with the correct buttons, you can reset the values of all the variables to false and then when they select the new batch set those selections to true

• I also added a counter so you can't go less/more of what they need to select. I like to disable the object so they can still see what they didn't select. You could add a reset button that takes them back to start again if they feel they made the wrong choices.

• In my demo, the first slide should show the original set of 8, then the second slide should show the 4 selected, and then the third slide should show the 2 selected. 

As it is currently set up, the unselected are disabled. I think with this type of triggering, I'd keep those visible so that people can see how they're progressing, rather than hiding them.

Another option, requires more triggers, is to create an object with states for all possible choices. Then when you get to the slide you have to change the state of the object to the first choice, then change the state of the second object to the second choice.