Forum Discussion

SarahSexton
Community Member
3 months ago

How can I get a screen reader to recognize a state change and read an update alt text????

I have listed a version of this question a couple of weeks ago but suspect I did not provide enough information.  

I have a series objects on a slide and  a learner will click and a slide layer will provide additional information.  In the focus order, I ensure that the object's alt text reads something like, "Clickable button:  (and then the object's label).  For the sighted learner, when they return to the base layer, I have a state change trigger (usually smaller print and color is greyed), letting them know that they have visited that object.  However, the non-sighted learner needs their screen reader to recognize that state change and read the object as visited. How can this be accomplished when there is not another entry to assign a new alt text for the state change to read "this object has been visited" in the focus order?  I have provided a simple example in the attachment.

• You need to go into "Edit States" on the object, then select the state where you need to change the alt text. Then right click on the object, go to Accessibility, and change the alt text there. Every state can have different alt text!

SarahSexton
    Community Member

Thank you so very much!!!  That worked perfected.  Please look at my next question.  I have another screen reader quesiton.