Forum Discussion

AvinashB-0ddc9b
Community Member
14 days ago

How to capture the lesson_location from the SCORM output file?

I'm not receiving the lesson location data from the projects I developed in Storyline 360, and this information isn't being sent to our LMS. As a result, learners have to start from the beginning every time they exit the project unexpectedly. I'm using SCORM 1.2 for publishing— is there a way to capture this data?

AvinashB-0ddc9b
      Community Member

Thanks for the reply PhilMayor,
      Can you help me on how to use cmi.suspend_data to capture and to ensure learner starts from where they left off?
      Kindly share any documents if you have.

JoeFrancis
        Community Member

"As a learner makes his way through a course, a compressed chunk of information—called suspend data—is sent to the LMS after each slide. This suspend data describes everything about the current state of the course, including the learner’s responses, navigation history, object states, variable values, interaction results, and more. When the learner opens the course again, it asks the LMS where they previously left off. The LMS sends the suspend data back to the course, and the course uses it to resume at the same point and in the same state as before."

Why Do Courses Fail to Resume?

A few things could get in the way of the resume communication process:

You exceeded the suspend data limit.

Your LMS might be imposing limits on suspend data. Older LMS specs, such as SCORM 1.2, have outdated restrictions on suspend data.

We recommend publishing for the latest edition of SCORM 2004, xAPI (Tin Can API), or cmi5. See these articles for more information:

You’re in a cross-domain environment.

If you’re hosting AICC content on a different server than your LMS, you may experience a cross-domain conflict. See this article for solutions. (Note that this doesn’t apply to Rise 360 courses.)

You already completed the course.

The resume feature might not work as you’d expect after you meet the completion requirement. Most LMSs consider a course to be in review mode after the tracking requirement has been met.

In review mode, resume data is no longer sent to the LMS, which prevents learners from accidentally changing their course status from Complete back to Incomplete. See this article for more information. (Note that this doesn’t apply to Rise 360 courses.)

Learning More About Your LMS: Resume Behavior and Suspend Data