Forum Discussion

JenniferSantos-
Community Member
28 days ago

Is there a way to submit assessment attempt information to the LMS and trigger a failed completion after three attempts?

I am trying to capture assessment attempt data in the LMS each time a learner goes through a final assessment in Storyline. The learner should only have 3 attempts at the assessment. I would like a completion status to pass back to the LMS after passing the assessment OR  failing the assessment after three tries. Is there a way to do this?

Currently it will only pass back a completion after the user passes the assessment.

ST-S
    Community Member

Hello!
    I have a similar issue.

The questions are: 
    > Does Storyline report to the LMS the number of attempts?
    > Can we control the sending of the status, so that it is sent at the first passed attempt or the third failed attempt?

I still don't understand what exactly Storyline sends to the LMS and when.
    More specifically, I don't know if Storyline sends a completion status if we set it to report Pass/Fail (or a success status if set to report Complete/Incomplete, or a completed status if set to report Pass/Incomplete, or a passed status if set to Complete/Fail, etc.).

For that assessment with a specific number of three attempts, as we need to know if it is passed or failed, I suppose we must set the report setting to Pass/Fail.
    But we don't want the Fail to be sent until the third attempt.
    So the only idea I've had is:
    > Duplicate the quiz inside the course
    > Track only the third quiz
    > Put triggers on the first and second quizzes to send Pass if the case occurs

I haven't tested that yet.

Does anyone know a better way to do that (without cheating and duplicating the quiz, but only with the right settings)? Can the LMS be set to allow a certain number of attempts? Or can Storyline be set like this?
    Or does anyone at least know what Storyline sends to the LMS excatly?

Jennifer, what LMS are you working with? Do you want it to mark Complete or Passed, and Incomplete or Failed (if it can)?

Hope we can find an answer to that not so specific case! :)

JenniferSantos-
      Community Member

We actually just built a proprietary LMS, but SCORM Cloud is hosting the courses. I was looking for the status of the assessment to report as passed or failed and the course status to register complete once the user passed or failed the assessment (after 3 attempts). I have found a way to get this to work for our LMS, but not sure it will work for all:

• Set up an attempt variable with the default value of ‘1’
      • On the results failure layer:
        • Set up a trigger to add ‘1’ each time the user clicks the ‘Retry’ button
        • Set up a trigger to jump to the fail slide if the user clicks the ‘Retry’ button and the attempts variable value > 3.
      • On base layer of the results slide, set up these triggers:
        • Submit results (Results Slide) when the timeline starts on this slide if results.score.points>=results.pass.points
        • Submit results (Results Slide) when the timeline starts on this slide if results.score.points<results.pass.points AND attempts > 3
      • Add a final fail slide (after results slide) and set up a trigger to complete the course as incomplete/failed when the timeline starts on the slide
      • Add a final pass slide (after results slide) and set up a trigger to complete the course as completed/passed when the timeline starts on the slide
      • In the player, go to ‘other’ and select to ‘Always Resume’ on restart (to prevent the assessment from restarting from the beginning)
      • Publish the course tracking based on multiple tracking options and a status of Passed/Failed.
  • Hello Jennifer,

Happy to help! I understand you'd like to send a completion status to your LMS after passing or failing the assessment. These are the recommended LMS standards and Reporting options for sending the completion status to your LMS.

If the issue persists after using the above recommendations, you can test your course in a different LMS to confirm if the behavior you're experiencing is specific to your LMS. SCORM Cloud is a great environment that you can use for this purpose. Here's how to test your course on this platform: 

If you can replicate the behavior in SCORM Cloud, would you be willing to upload a copy of your project file here or privately by opening a support case so we can look at it? We'll delete it when we're done testing! 

• Most often this kind of thing is part of your LMS functionality. It is common to (for example) allow 3 attempts and then lock the course down after a third unsuccessful attempt, redirecting the learner to remedial material or alerting a manager/training department. But this is a function of the LMS, rather than the learning content.

By recording the actual pass/fail status along with score for all three attempts you are able to gain insight as to the learner's progress that you might not otherwise have.