Forum Discussion

DavidTait
Super Hero
3 months ago

Layer appearing behind other layers when opened

I've just encountered an issue on a slide with multiple layers.

Five of the layers are set up to behave like an accordion, with triggers used to show and hide each one. There is a sixth layer that contains text, that can be accessed at any point by clicking a separate button. The sixth layer should be able to appear on top of the other layers when opened, and it has a background graphic that prevents the user clicking a button to open any of the other layers.

The issue I have found is that the text layer appears behind the other, already open layers.

This seems to be a new issue, as the file I'm working on worked fine when tested previously, which was over a month ago.

Strangely, if I drag the text layer to the bottom of my layers panel, it clears the issue, but to my knowledge, Storyline should display the latest layer to be opened on top of the stack, regardless of where they are positioned oin the layers panel.

We've tested this on two PCs running two different versions of Storyline and the issues persists in both the Preview mode and in the web-publish which is then viewed in Chrome.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

• Hi everyone!

I have some great news to share. We just released an update for Storyline 360. In Build 3.90.32850.0, we’ve included important fixes and new features. One of the bugs we’ve fixed is:

• Layer content could display incorrectly

Launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer to take advantage of this update, and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You’ll find our step-by-step instructions here!

• Thanks Judy, I've done that too, I just wanted to raise the issue with a wider audience to see whether this was something that's affecting other users as well.

• I haven't seen that issue. But if the layer that's on the top in the Layers panel doesn't appear above the other layers when previewed or published, that is what's politely called "unexpected behavior." I suggest you submit a case directly to the Articulate staff. You can do that here:
    https://access.articulate.com/support/contact 

• I saw something similar a couple of weeks ago and was so busy I couldn't stop and report and then fixed it  but had to create what I thought were unnecessary triggers to bring it to the front

MichaelGallaghe
      Community Member

Hi Phil,

Can you share your solution for bringing the layer to the front? I'm having the same issue. 

DavidTait
        Super Hero

Dragging the offending layer to the bottom of the stack was the work around that worked for me. I'm sure there'll be an instance where this doesn't work, depending on individual setups, but it's worth a try as the quickest possible fix, while we wait for the bug to be squashed.

• Hi David,

I see you've connected with my teammate, Ian, in a support case. They haven't been able to replicate the issue and would like to test your file. You can share your project with Ian in your case so we can troubleshoot further!

DavidTait
      Super Hero

Hi Kelly, I shared a file earlier today, so that should be with you now.

StevenBenassi
        Staff

Hi David!

Thanks for following up and sharing your .story file!

As Ian shared through your support case, we have this behavior logged as a bug in Storyline 360. I've linked this discussion to the bug report and will provide updates as soon as a fix is in place. In the meantime, as a workaround, we suggest dragging the Layer that is being obscured to the bottom of the Slide Layers panel.

Thank you for your patience! Sorry if this has been slowing you down!

• Hi everyone!

I have some great news to share. We just released an update for Storyline 360. In Build 3.90.32850.0, we’ve included important fixes and new features. One of the bugs we’ve fixed is:

• Layer content could display incorrectly

Launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer to take advantage of this update, and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You’ll find our step-by-step instructions here!