Forum Discussion

Sarah-BethFr290
Community Member
11 months ago

Mark Course Complete at 75%

I have a course that only has an inserted mp4. Only the timeline for the in video controls is used.  I would like to add a trigger that marks the course as complete when 75% percent of the video has been viewed.  

I tried a trigger that marks the course complete when the timeline reaches that point but it seems to mark the course complete sooner at times. I assume when the course is paused a total elapsed time keeps running and that's the time that marks the course complete.  Is this correct? Is there a way to have the course mark complete based on viewing 75% of a media element? 

• Hi, Sarah,

As you've discovered, when the user clicks a video to pause it, that doesn't pause the timeline.

You can use a variable to track whether or not the video is paused, along with a conditional trigger that pauses or resumes the timeline based on the value of that variable. That will ensure your "complete course when timeline reaches __" trigger will sync with the video.

This is demonstrated in the attached demo file. 

Sarah-BethFr290
      Community Member

Thank you for your response. Will these triggers work if the user uses the video controls to pause the video or do they have to click on the video itself? 

JudyNollet
        Super Hero

I just tried that by adding video control to my demo file. Unfortunately, clicking the control strip doesn't count as clicking the video, so you'll have to hide the controls. (You could add a note to let users know they can click the video to pause and resume it.)