Forum Discussion

KelseyHuffman
Community Member
2 days ago

Move Triggers

I am creating a Storyline game where there are objects (an image) that the user clicks and it moves to the object to the center of the slide. A question then pops up (on another slide, not a layer). If the user gets the question correct, I want the object to move to the right side of the slide. If the user gets the question wrong, I want the object to move to the left side of the slide. 

I have been successful using the move trigger to move the object to the center, show the question, then move to the right if the answer is correct. But I cannot figure out how to get the object to move to the left if it is wrong.

I have tried many methods, including variables, but cannot figure it out. Any ideas would be super helpful! Thank you!!

• The programming for the first helmet is all set in the attached file. To the side of each slide, I added notes explaining the changes I made. 

FYI: I switched to a Text variable because the programming needs three different conditions. And each helmet will need its own Text variable. 

Good luck with your project!

• What trigger are you using to move the object to the right only if the answer is correct? If you've got that working, the same trigger could have an "Else" action that moves the object to the left.

For example, in this situation, I'd use a T/F variable to track whether a given question was answered correctly. I'd change the variable to True on the question slide if user correctly answers the question. Then, in the trigger that will move the object to the rigth, include a condition that the variable = True.

If you're doing something like that, you should be able to add an "Else" action to the trigger, which would run if the condition isn't met (that is, the user answered incorrectly). The "Else" would move the object on a motion path that goes to the left. 

Of course, there are different ways to accomplish the same thing. Which means troubleshooting is just guessing without seeing the .story file. If you upload it, someone might be able to solve the issue. Here are the best practices for doing that: 

• Only include slides that are related to the problem.
    • Be sure objects, layers, motion paths, and variables have meaningful names.
    • If there is proprietary content, replace or delete it. For example, replace proprietary text with “ipsum lorem” text.
  • The programming for the first helmet is all set in the attached file. To the side of each slide, I added notes explaining the changes I made. 

FYI: I switched to a Text variable because the programming needs three different conditions. And each helmet will need its own Text variable. 

Good luck with your project!

KelseyHuffman
      Community Member

JudyNollet, I cannot thank you enough!! I am a novice but have fun challenging myself and you have given me more ideas! You also provided me with some naming conventions that will help so much for this and future projects. Thanks again!!