Forum Discussion

ArynDougherty-4
Community Member
2 months ago

NVDA Automatic Playthrough of Entire Slide - Storyline 360

Hi folks,

For some slides, NVDA reads the content automatically in one long sentence, creating a confusing jumble. This occurs on any type of slide design: questions, interactions with layers, or simple static content. 

However, this is inconsistent. For other slides, NVDA pauses, waiting for the command to move forward. 

Is there any way to adjust NVDA or the slide settings so that the content isn't played through all at once; or, just a quick pause? I've adjusted the focus order, ensured alt text is correct, tested in different browsers/Review360/LMS, but I'm not too sure where to go from there.

I'm newer to using NVDA, so any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

-Aryn 

• Hi Aryn,

Screen readers have different modes. NVDA has browse mode, which is for navigating/reading, and focus mode, for interaction. When it is just reading all the content, it's in browse mode. NVDA should automatically switch between browse and focus modes but a user can also toggle between them (using Insert + Space bar). Native screen reader users would be familiar with these different modes and how to navigate between them. There is nothing you need to do in Storyline for them to make this switch.

• Hi Elizabeth, 

Thank you!! That explains so much - I really appreciate this information and help!!