Forum Discussion

ChristophSchmol
Community Member
6 months ago

Preloading videos to prevent stuttering?

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on a training that includes a large number of short mp4 video sequences. Unfortunately, the videos frequently stutter when they start running, which is extremely annoying. This happens regardless of the quality settings. Is it possible to preload/cache all videos of a training into the RAM before launch in order to achieve smooth playback?

Thank you,
Christoph

• The first clip in your video actually shows the stuttering, the second and third run smoothly.

The problem is that my customer sees the stutter, too. On different machines at different locations. So do all my colleagues. I must therefore assume that this is a widespread issue that needs fixing.

• this is a common browser problem with starting videos - independent of storyline

even the video player app of windows 10 (Film&TV) has the stuttering problem

that's why you never build videos so that they have visible movements for the first frames

• As Jürgen suggested, I've ended up adding a 0.5 second still image sequence of the first frame at the beginning of each clip. I would have liked to have avoided this time-consuming step, but apparently it is the only reliable solution.

Many thanks for your support!