Forum Discussion

JaySadauskas-76
Community Member
3 years ago

Question answers unable to be edited

Hi everyone!

Looking for some help or advice please. I am working with a Storyline template that contains a number of blank questions, in the company's branding that I am working for.

My problem is, when going into edit these question template for multi choice and multi select, I am unable to edit the Answer options. Normally I would click into the field and type what I want the answer to be, however I am getting a drop-down list of items that appear to be from the timeline!

(please see image attached)

Im not sure what I am doing wrong or if there is something else I should be looking for. I spent a number of hours today looking online for a solution however there was nothing I could find so hoping the experts here in eLearning Heroes can come to my rescue!

Thanks for your time, Jase

• Hi, Jase,

Those must be Freeform questions (that is, questions created from standard objects put on a side). That means you can't edit the text in Form View, which is the view shown in the image you attached.

Switch to Slide View by clicking that option. Then edit the text in the objects in the same way you edit text in other rectangles and shapes. 

FYI: Here's more info about Freeform questions: 

https://community.articulate.com/series/articulate-storyline-360/articles/articulate-storyline-360-user-guide-how-to-convert-existing-slide-to-freeform-interaction 

• Hi Judy,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have followed your instructions and tried to edit the text, however the actual text of 'Answer 1' is not part of that circle. I am able to edit text in the shape however this isnt the text next to that shape.

When I try to click on the text next to the shape, nothing happens. Its almost like its frozen. I have also double checked the Master Slides to ensure the text wasn't embedded in the background and it isnt. 

Would you happen to know of any other reasons why this cant be edited?

Thank you for your time, Jase

• Check the Timeline. It sounds like the text boxes with the actual answers are locked. (Locking can be very useful to help prevent objects from being accidentally moved or edited.)

If an object is locked, you'll see a lock icon next to the text box, like this:

Just click that icon to unlock the object, and it will be editable. 

If that's not the problem, then you should upload your file (ideally, just a copy that has only the slide in question). It's easier to troubleshoot by looking at a file.

• Thanks Judy! I appreciate you support and advice on this issue.

I followed your instructions however the objects weren't locked and after some frustration with the file, decided to log a support ticket.

As it turns out, the text was locked to the State of the circle object and could only be edited via states. 

Thank you to everyone who provided suggestions and support, it is great appreciated!