Forum Discussion

HoneyTurner
Community Member
3 months ago

Quiz Review unpredictable

I've created a quiz with the normal layers: Correct, Incorrect and Review. Since I wanted the feedback to be consistent, regardless what their results are, I put Feedback in a separate layer so I'd only need to edit it once. And finally, I have a top layer that puts a badge with either a checkmark or X to indicate if they got it correct or wrong.

When doing the quiz, it's showing all the correct layers and it's choosing the correct badge to match their results. However, during the Review, I'm getting really inconsistent results. Sometimes my badge layer isn't showing. Sometimes the title on the review layer vanishes.

If I retry the quiz (all wrong the first time, all right the second time), then do the review, it shows the wrong badge (if it shows a badge at all). and if I run the review a second time, then it's not even displaying the feedback layer.

I suspect it's an issue related to how it handles repeat visits to the same pages, but I'm not sure which layers need what setting changed.

AaronPross
    Community Member

Give the attached file a try.

What I did:

• For each question layer (excluding the base question layer), I set Revisiting to: Rest to Initial State.
    • For the “Review” layer, I changed Show Layer “The Feedback” trigger to when the timeline ends on this layer”.
    • On the “The Feedback” layer, I added a trigger to Hide the “Review badge” when the user clicks Next.
    • On the “The Feedback” layer, I changed Show layer Review badge trigger to when the timeline ends on this layer”.
    • On both the Review layer and The Feedback layer, I adjusted the slide time to half a second.
      HoneyTurner
      Community Member

Interesting solution. I'd tried using Reset to Initial on all the non-main layers with no improvement. But, I didn't think of moving the trigger to the end. I'll have to play with that tomorrow to see if I can replicate.

Thank you.

HoneyTurner
      Community Member
      Aaron Pross

Give the attached file a try.

What I did:

• For each question layer (excluding the base question layer), I set Revisiting to: Rest to Initial State.
      • For the “Review” layer, I changed Show Layer “The Feedback” trigger to when the timeline ends on this layer”.
      • On the “The Feedback” layer, I added a trigger to Hide the “Review badge” when the user clicks Next.
      • On the “The Feedback” layer, I changed Show layer Review badge trigger to when the timeline ends on this layer”.
      • On both the Review layer and The Feedback layer, I adjusted the slide time to half a second.

I copied these instructions and got it to work. thanks! The only mystery is why the scroll bar content is showing through the badge on a higher layer. But, moving the badge can solve that if I can't figure it out.

AaronPross
    Community Member

In the Feedback layer, I would try adjusting the time at which you have the Review badge layer set to display. It might be a timing issue.  I can't seem to duplicate the issue in the file I sent.

AaronPross
    Community Member

Hi Honey,

I just took a quick look at your story file. The Review works correctly the 1st time because Storyline is displaying the correct or incorrect layer 1st and then "The Feedback" and lastly the "Review badge" layer.

The 2nd time through, Storyline displays the last layer viewed, which is the "Review badge" layer.  Thus, things are going sideways. I can't make any promises for a solution, but I'm investigating.  I invite others in this space to review your file also.  

AP

• The 2nd time through, Storyline displays the last layer viewed, which is the "Review badge" layer.

Be sure you are closing all the layers when you leave them.

HoneyTurner
      Community Member
      Walt Hamilton

The 2nd time through, Storyline displays the last layer viewed, which is the "Review badge" layer.

Be sure you are closing all the layers when you leave them.

I'm not sure quite sure how to implement this. If I hide the layer with the Next button, then the Next button won't trigger. Does this mean I need to somehow move that functionality back to the main layer? If so, how do I do that without showing the main layer?

AaronPross
    Community Member

Check out the file I sent, I added a trigger to hide the badge layer when the next button is clicked. That should force Storyline to default back to showing the Review layer.

AaronPross
    Community Member

Are you referring to the seekbar at the bottom of the screen?  You can either turn it off in the Player menu or turn it off at the slide level.

Unchecking the Seekbar option in the Player menu will turn it off globally in your project. 

Good Luck!!!

HoneyTurner
      Community Member

No, the third quiz question includes 2 scroll bars to display the feedback. That layer is below the review badge. But, visually it's displaying it as if it's on top of the review badge during review only. It's displaying correctly during the initial Correct/Incorrect response.