Forum Discussion

MiguelNieves
Community Member
3 months ago

Randomize questions within Question Bank

Hello. I have a quiz with multiple question banks and would like to randomize questions. However, the quiz randomizes them all throughout the entire quiz versus only throughout the question banks.

Each question bank is a different topic.

Is there a way to limit the randomization to within the question bank? Once all questions are drawn, they move to the next topic, and so on.

• Hello Miguel!

Thank you for reaching out! Can you help me understand what you mean by limiting the randomization within a question bank? The learner should move to the next slide after they've completed the question bank.

If you can share your .story file, that would be helpful too! You can share it in this discussion or privately in a support case. 

MiguelNieves
    Community Member

Hi Lauren.

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I cannot share the file.

• I have 5 different Questions Banks; each with different amount of questions. 
      • i.e. Question Bank 1, Question Bank 2, Question Bank 3, etc
    • In the "Draw Questions from Bank" window, I have the checkbox "draw questions randomly" and Include all questions" selected.
    • In the "Include In Shuffle" column, they are all randomly

When testing/previewing the entire document:

• Questions appear randomly. However, the questions are drawn randomly from the entire file.
      • i.e. Q. #5 from Question Bank 2, then Q. #9 from Question Bank 5, then Q. 1 from Question Bank 3, etc
      • I was expecting it to be QB 1 (randomized question order), QB 2 (randomized questions), then QB 3 (randomized), etc

I would like the questions to appear randomly but from within each QB, then randomly from next QB, and successively.  

Does that make sense?

LaurenConnelly
      Staff

Thank you Miguel! I understand that questions are drawn from the entire file. Do some of the question banks have the same questions as others? If so, then I'd recommend making sure each question bank has a different set of questions than another.

Unfortunately, if that doesn't do the trick, it is hard to solve this without the file. We can sign an NDA if necessary or you can share a screen recording of the behavior as well privately in a support case.