Forum Discussion

KrisKern-Stark
Community Member
7 years ago

Remove the Start Course Button in Rise?

Hi

Can I remove the Start Course Button and Details button on the Cover Page in Rise?

• Good news, everyone! We've just released a new feature that allows you to turn off the cover page when you publish for LMS to improve compatibility, streamline training, and get learners into content faster. Give it a try, and let us know if you have any questions about it!

Note: You can't hide the cover page for training created from Next Big Idea Club content templates.

• Hey Alyssa, thank you for posting Ashley's video. It was helpful. However, now the progress bar indicates that the learner is starting mid-course due to skipping the start page. Is there a more recent solution to skipping the start page that I am not seeing? Or is there a way to hide the progress bar?

Thanks. 

Justin

InaDraijer-70dc
      Community Member

Hi Justin,

you can't disable the progress bar in Rise's settings, but you can export the course and make changes in the main.bundle.css - however, you have to do this manually for every single course.

• Hey Justin! The video you watched is the most recent workaround, and there isn't a way to hide the progress bar. 

We'll let you know if we add a feature for disabling the main menu page and progress indicators in a future update!

• Thanks Ashley and Ina for the helpful info. While i realize the intent of Rise is to be able to build courses rapidly using the templates provided, it would be nice to have more development flexibility. Keep us posted. 

• I've come across an unexpected issue today: one of my learners missed important introductory material because they hit the big "start course" without noticing there was text further down the landing page. I've considered removing the button - but with restricted navigation on, will learners be able to navigate to the first unit? (I also considered moving the text to an introductory unit, but then Rise labels my first content lesson - Unit 1 - as "unit 2 of X". Confusing!) Has anyone else come across this issue? Thank you!

Crystal-Horn
      Staff

Hi there, Paula. Could you change the label on the DETAILS button to call attention to your introduction text?

Restricted navigation will require that learners complete lessons in order. Removing the START COURSE button isn't officially supported, but I wouldn't expect it to hinder navigating to the first lesson using the course outline.

PaulaWarring070
        Community Member

That is a great suggestion: thank you, Crystal!

I'm going to try this immediately...  :-) 

LeaRudolph
    Community Member

Hello, has an easier way been developed in the meantime to export single lessons to be hosted on an LMS? It would be really useful if there was an easy way to do this. Thanks

LeaRudolph
        Community Member

Hi Hazel, thanks for your reply. I’ve tried that, but it still means that there’s a start page for the course in my LMS, instead of taking the learner straight to the single lesson. I’m creating lots of single lessons that I would like learners to be able to access directly, without having to go through the start page first. Regards, Lea

Sent from my iPhone

• Good news, everyone! We've just released a new feature that allows you to turn off the cover page when you publish for LMS to improve compatibility, streamline training, and get learners into content faster. Give it a try, and let us know if you have any questions about it!

Note: You can't hide the cover page for training created from Next Big Idea Club content templates.

• When I deleted the (start course) button text, the button disappeared completely from the front page of a course, however, when you do this now, the START COURSE text just reappears (and therefore so does the button). Have you removed this feature!?

JoseTansengco
      Staff

Hi Tom,

I did a quick test in Rise 360 and it appears this workaround still works. I removed the 'Start course' text from the labels:

Then I published to LMS/web. The cover page of the published output looks like this, without a start button visible:

Would you mind double-checking your labels to ensure there's no label added next to "START COURSE"?

• Thanks Jose, on Friday, I must have tried this around 50 times and the text kept on reappearing. I tried it yesterday, and it worked fine!