Forum Discussion

DawnShepard-b1b
Community Member
3 months ago

Template for SL -- pacman or something similar

Does anyone have a "template" that they would share of a "gaming" such as a pacman or other similar to build an assessment to measure the learners knowledge of previously reviewed topics. Looking for something fun and engaging!

Thanks,

Dawn

BobStryker
    Community Member

Hi Dawn,
    To give an assessment a little more dimension, I generally add a reward system for correct responses to the design that fits into the context of the trained material.

Examples:

• For a course designed for a civil rights museum, participants who identify principles that align with each topic's narrative are awarded with the components to assemble a three-dimensional exhibit space.
    • For an eLearning on warehouse security, I created a security meter that started in a neutral position which went up in to the green with correct responses and into the red with incorrect responses.
    • For a business acumen course on reading Profit and Loss statements, I created a smoothie stand sim that outputted four "monthly" P&L statements based on the participant's business decisions (pricing, product assortment, etc.) and responses to basic business questions. Each participant created a unique series of P&Ls because of the range of inputs but received the same support and coaching.

My point is people like games, but they tend to work better from a training return on investment when they are closely tied to the content. 

Hope this helps.

Bob

PS - Just looking for a good example online just now and I found this:
    The Weakest Link: A User Security Game (isdecisions.com)

After completing the first couple of scenarios, I think it gets the basics correct. I have no relationship with or previous knowledge of the developer.

DawnShepard-b1b
      Community Member

Hi, Robert

Thank you for the suggestion! I look forward to looking at your course example.

Best,

Dawn

This communication is confidential. Destroy if received in error and please let me know. Unauthorized use, copying, or distribution is prohibited.
      [A blue text on a white background Description automatically generated]

DawnShepard-b1b
      Community Member

Robert -

I like your second bullet since the training that I am looking to build the assessment for is Compliance Training which is "similar" to the warehouse security. I really like the concept of started in neutral and tying the "questions" to increasing the meter to green. Can this type of assessment yield individual results that can pulled in a report?

Thanks,

Dawn

This communication is confidential. Destroy if received in error and please let me know. Unauthorized use, copying, or distribution is prohibited.
      [A blue text on a white background Description automatically generated]

StevenBenassi
        Staff

Hi Dawn!

Glad to see Robert has been helping you!

I just wanted to share that part of your e-mail signature came through when you replied via e-mail. You can remove that if needed by clicking ‘Edit’ beneath your response.

BobStryker
    Community Member

Hi Dawn,

I had a somewhat more detailed response, but Articulate sites have very short timeouts, so I'll answer quickly by saying yes, you can report a custom variable by following the directions below the subheading: "Using Survey Questions (Any LMS Standard)" in the following link:

Storyline 360: How to Send the Value of a Variable to an LMS/LRS - Articulate Support

It's about halfway down the page. I have followed this process with success on my company LMS.