Forum Discussion

JudyNollet
Super Hero
4 years ago

TIP: Track Responses to Custom Questions or Surveys

Do you want to customize a course based on the results of a survey? Do you want to create questions that assign different point values to different responses? In other words, do you want to track responses? 

You can do that by adjusting the values of number variables based on which buttons are selected. Then add up those values, and use that "total score" to customize what happens next.

The attached demo file shows you how. It includes two examples: 

• how to track multiple single-response items (like a Likert scale)
  • how to track multiple-response slides

In addition to the demos, the file explains how the triggers work. 

I hope this is helpful for those who want to track custom surveys and/or create question slides that assign different values to each response (instead of just grading right or wrong). 

MewBoriratrit
    Community Member

Thank you, Judy. This is super helpful! I'm sure many people will also benefit from this demo.

CraigDonahue
    Community Member

Hi Judy,

I think this is more what I'm looking for. Can you guide me on getting started. Do I choose a template, and then add my questions and responses there?

thank you

StacyEddleton
    Community Member

This is very helpful.  Thanks for the demo.  Do you know of a way to show a summary of the items that they selected?  I have about 50 items and want them to select the 10 that apply to them.  I want to show which ones they selected at the end.  I'm still pretty new to Storyline but hoping to be able to do this.

JudyNollet
      Super Hero

Hi, Stacy,

Using just Storyline's tools, you'd need to have a slide set up with all 50 items, and then show or hide each item based on a variable that tracks whether or not the learner selected that item. Unfortunately, that means you end up with a lot of blank space, because you can't re-arrange the items. 

JavaScript allows for combining info from different sources (e.g., the name of each item selected) and then presenting it via one text field. If you really need that functionality, search the Forum. I know I've seen it talked about. But I don't have that expertise. 

• how can the questions and responses for each item be tracked in the LMS - I published and it didn't track each response - only completion

MorganCross
    Community Member

Hi Judy,

I'm trying to do the same thing you demonstrated in your guide on "how to track multiple single-response items (like a Likert scale)," which was very helpful. However, my slide is behaving strangely—it only allows me to select three buttons at a time. If I click any additional buttons after selecting three, it removes one of the previous selections. In other words, I can only have three buttons selected at any given time.

Could you please advise what I might be doing wrong?

JudyNollet
      Super Hero

Based on your description, it sounds like there's an issue with the button sets. 

Your buttons might be assigned to the wrong sets. I suggest you try this: 

• Remove all button sets from your slide. (See above link if you don't know how to do that.)
      • Carefully reassign buttons to the appropriate button sets. (If your slide is similar to what's in my demo file, there should be one button set per question.)

If that doesn't solve the problem, well, troubleshooting is just guessing without seeing the .story file. Here are the best practices for doing that:

• Only include slides that are related to the problem.
      • Be sure objects, layers, motion paths, and variables have meaningful names.
      • If there is proprietary content, replace or delete it. For example, replace proprietary text with “ipsum lorem” text.