Forum Discussion

CarolynWight
Community Member
2 months ago

Trigger Help

Hi everyone, 

I am looking for some help. 

I have been trying to set up a trigger on my elearning so the Next button appears when all symbols have been clicked by the user. 

I have managed this, although not sure I've done it in the most efficient way. 

Anyway, I have grouped the button and the text together and they should now be Group 11, as shown on the timeline. However when I was setting up the triggers, within the pop up box that appears I didn't have the option to choose Group 11, I've had to se tup the triggers using Button 1 and Text box 4.

Am I doing something wrong? I thought that was the point of setting it up to be grouped together?

If anyone can provide some clarification that would be great. I'm pretty new to all this. :)

• As you've discovered, you can use triggers that run when a Group is clicked. You can also animate a Group. (That's especially handy when you want a set of objects to follow a motion path.)

However, the Group itself can't have states. 

Personally, I avoid using Groups as interactive objects. For example, based on the image you attached, you could do this:

• It looks like the custom NEXT button is a rounded rectangle shape and a text box. You don't need the text box. You can enter text directly in any shape. As needed, use the Format Text > Text Box options to adjust the placement of the text within the shape.
    • For more complex layouts, you can insert objects directly within the state(s) of the main object. This post is about doing this with icons, but the basic principle applies to inserting any object into the state of another object:
  • As you've discovered, you can use triggers that run when a Group is clicked. You can also animate a Group. (That's especially handy when you want a set of objects to follow a motion path.)

However, the Group itself can't have states. 

Personally, I avoid using Groups as interactive objects. For example, based on the image you attached, you could do this:

• It looks like the custom NEXT button is a rounded rectangle shape and a text box. You don't need the text box. You can enter text directly in any shape. As needed, use the Format Text > Text Box options to adjust the placement of the text within the shape.
    • For more complex layouts, you can insert objects directly within the state(s) of the main object. This post is about doing this with icons, but the basic principle applies to inserting any object into the state of another object: