Forum Discussion

ZephaniahScotti
Community Member
4 years ago

Variables and Change of State Triggers

Noob here. I'm creating a Propositional Logic course with a level selection screen (see above). By clicking on the relevant alien, the user can go to one of three levels. After the level is successfully completed, the user is returned to the level selection screen and a variable is changed from False to True, which should trigger a state change for the relevant alien from Normal to Complete(which adds a green arrow next to the alien).

I can get this to work with the blue alien (connected to the variable SSComplete), but not the yellow alien (connected to the variable RKCComplete) and I cannot figure out why. Here are the relevant triggers:

I'm sure this is due to my ignorance and not Storyline. Can anyone see why this isn't working?

I've attached a simplified storyline file if anyone is interested to delve into the details. 

Thanks,

Zeph

• Wonderful debugging tool: On the selection screen, place a text box with this content: %RKCComplete%   You can find it in the Insert tab, under references. When it plays the reference will be replaced with the contents of the variable, and you can tell if it is changing.

As to why it is not, check these two triggers:

The audio runs for 1 second, and jumps to slide 1. The timeline of the layer runs 3 seconds, and never finishes, so the variable isn't set.

Best practice is to use the same action to set the variable and jump to the next slide. Be sure the trigger to set the variable is above the trigger to jump, as the jump cuts off the execution of any following triggers.

• Walt, 

Thank you for clearly explaining both that debugging tool and what had gone wrong with my triggers. Your post was super helpful!