Forum Discussion

MelissaEngland-
Community Member
2 years ago

Voice overs/text-to-speech

I work with Storyline a lot as an Instructional Designer, and I was wondering when Articulate will come out with more voices for text-to-speech. Also, the voices sound really robotic, so is there a way to fix that on Articulate's end? I have to do all voiceovers in Vyond because they offer a plethora of voices and just added more. 

Thanks so much!  

Melissa

• Hi everyone, in reviewing this thread, I saw quite a few posts that called out the robotic nature of the Text To Speech feature in Storyline 360 and I wanted to share some good news. Today in Storyline 360 update 80, users will see better versions of most of the voices when inserting TTS audio. These will show up in the same place as the standard voices, under “Neural Voices”. These are voices that sound more natural and human-like and are considerably higher in quality compared to the older standard TTS voices.

A list of these voices can be found  here. Updating Storyline 360 to the latest version is super easy, here is the guide in case anyone needs it. 

We will continue to keep tabs on requests to support ways to control speaking rate, inserting silence, pronunciation and SSML support in general. Please let us know of any feedback (good or bad), around this enhancement and we’ll be happy to pass it along to our dedicated team of engineers. 

All the best, 
    Michael Marcos
    Customer Support Product Liaison

MikeReynolds-96
      Community Member

My work-around was to build the lesson that included text-to-speech (TTS) in Storyline, then I embedded the Storyline file into my Rise 360 course.

• Hi, Mike!

Just a quick note that replying via email includes your signature here so you are welcome to edit the post and remove that information if you wish.

MikeReynolds-96
      Community Member

Thanks Kelly. I have removed my electronic signature from these posts.

• I have been using Voicemaker for TTS. It has some pretty natural sounding voices, supports many languages, and the "premium" subscription is only $10 per month. I agree though, recording sentence-by-sentence is laborious... 

MikeReynolds-96
      Community Member

I have been using Amazon Polly to create all of the MP3 audio clips used for narration in my Storyline courses because it delivers " high-quality, natural-sounding human voices in dozens of languages". It's MUCH better than the robotic TTS available from Storyline 360 and I've found it to be both quick and easy to use. In addition, the price is very reasonable because the IT group at my company is already working with Amazon Web Services.

• Hi Mike, 

It looks like part of your email signature came through when you replied via email. You can remove that if needed by clicking ‘Edit’ beneath your response. Here’s a quick Peek video if you need help.

Have a great afternoon!

• Hi everyone, in reviewing this thread, I saw quite a few posts that called out the robotic nature of the Text To Speech feature in Storyline 360 and I wanted to share some good news. Today in Storyline 360 update 80, users will see better versions of most of the voices when inserting TTS audio. These will show up in the same place as the standard voices, under “Neural Voices”. These are voices that sound more natural and human-like and are considerably higher in quality compared to the older standard TTS voices.

A list of these voices can be found  here. Updating Storyline 360 to the latest version is super easy, here is the guide in case anyone needs it. 

We will continue to keep tabs on requests to support ways to control speaking rate, inserting silence, pronunciation and SSML support in general. Please let us know of any feedback (good or bad), around this enhancement and we’ll be happy to pass it along to our dedicated team of engineers. 

All the best, 
    Michael Marcos
    Customer Support Product Liaison

LoriPhillips
      Community Member

Are the Standard Voice options no longer available now that there are Neural Voice options? I no longer see Standard Voice options in Storyline.

StevenBenassi
        Staff

Hi Lori!

Great question!

Both Standard and Neural voices are still available in Storyline. However, only certain languages support the option to switch between both. Danish would be one of those languages, for example.

This article goes into more detail on which languages support which voice format. Please let me know if you have any more questions!

• What would be great is if TTS could extract the content from the slide, rather than from the notes. This is an extra cumbersome step. Even better if you can TTS on for all content in the slide, ie including all layers, then edit from each TTS panel. Further, if you copy the course and translate into a different language, all TTS settings remain so you don’t have to repeat the process for every language.

StevenBenassi
      Staff

Hi Matthew!

Thanks for sharing the feedback! If we make improvements to the functionality of Text-to-Speech in Storyline, we'll be sure to provide updates!

Have a great day!