Forum Discussion

SamHill
Super Hero
4 months ago

WARNING: Serious accessibility issue in latest SL release 3.88.32474.0

Note: I have reported this issue to Articulate, Case # 00861779

If building screen reader accessible content for JAWS, I would recommend rolling back to any version prior to 3.88.32474.0

The issue is with using layers as dialogue boxes/modal window and returning screen reader focus back to the element that showed a layer, when the layer is closed.

For example, you select a button which opens a layer. The layer is set to be exclusive and users cannot interact with elements behind the layer (like a pop-up window). When the Hide Layer trigger is called, the expected behaviour is that the screen reader reading focus is returned to the element that trigger the Show Layer.

This is not the current behaviour. The screen reader focus is returned to the top of the slide each time.

• Hi Sam,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and opening a support case! As my colleague Jan mentioned, we have confirmed the behavior as a bug. Our product team applied the fix to the issue you reported, where objects removed from the focus order were revealed to keyboard and screen reader users. We just released an update for Storyline 360, Build 3.88.32574.0, with this fix.

Launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer to enjoy this update, and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. Please let us know if you need additional help.

• Wow, that was fast. Very impressed. Thanks for the update Eric,

• You're welcome, Sam. Thank you for the feedback. I'll share it with our product team!

Enjoy your weekend ahead.