Forum Discussion

JayFrischkorn-a
Community Member
2 months ago

Why do variable used locations repeat?

I use a lot of variables in this application.  But when I try to trouble shoot something by clicking the number of times used in the variables dialog, the listing has many repeats of the same referenced by or used by statements.

For example one variable says it is used 6 times.  But when you click on the number, all of the instances are identical. They look like duplicates.

Example:  Referenced by "Text Box 1" on "AlertBar" in "2 SOI DOL Master"

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Hi Jay,

The "times used" references in the variables panel isnt the best designed thing in the world - I would certainly agree with that! :)

I think what its trying to show is just a variable being referenced somewhere on a slide/layer/asset. Not specifically showing each and every specific instance.

Thats why it appears to be duplicates, but its actually just a reference.

For example, those 6 times you mention in your example. They are reporting as being referenced by "Text Box 1". Is that slide used 6 times in your course by any chance?
    Or... maybe Text Box 1 has say 2 references to that variable on it, but the slide is used 3 times in your course (ie. 2 x 3 = 6)

Does that make any sense!?! :)

JayFrischkorn-a
      Community Member

Thanks for the reply. Interesting thoughts.

The variable is basically numeric and used as a "counter".
      The text box is in a master that is used 19 times in the course.
      The Text box only has one state.

I think your initial statement may be the best practical unless Articulate has a better technical explanation.

Jay

JoseTansengco
        Staff

Hi Jay,

Happy to check this for you!

I couldn't replicate the behavior you described using a basic Storyline 360 file so something else might be triggering the repetition. 

Would you be willing to share a copy of your project file here or privately by opening a support case so we can look at your variables? We'll delete it when we're done testing!