Forum Discussion

AdleStewart-fec
Community Member
4 months ago

xAPI trigger and HTML

Dear e-learning designers,

I need your support regarding the topic in the subject.

I recently joined a new company where I create e-learning content for employees. I am also responsible for uploading the e-learning content to our LMS.

To date, we have only uploaded content in the SCORM format. However, I am interested in uploading SL content with xAPI to gather more detailed learning metrics and metadata.

While I am proficient in producing SL content, I am not very familiar with the HTML code required to use the xAPI trigger.

Specifically, I would like to track the time each learner spends on each e-learning screen to identify which screens may be problematic. Additionally, I want to know which quiz questions are most frequently missed, regardless of whether the learner passes or fails the quiz.

I have no idea how to write the HTML code for these requirements or how to proceed.

Do you have any tips, web links, or pre-written HTML code that could help?

Does it make sense for you to use the trigger in the master slides?

I hope my request is clear.

Thank you in advance for all your suggestions

• Hello Adèle,

Happy to chime in!

I'm not knowledgeable about the HTML code you're referring to, but if you need a quick way to track how much time your learners spend on a particular section of your course, you can use Storyline 360's built-in elapsed time variables for that purpose.

You can also follow the instructions here to build advanced xAPI statements which you can then send to your LMS for reporting. 

I'm unsure of the best way to track quiz questions that are mostly answered incorrectly, but the information you need to generate this report should be readily available in your LMS's reporting section. I'll let other community members chime in with their own experiences!