Best Fonts to use for Asian languages

Apr 08, 2020

Hi -

Of the default fonts that are in Rise, which one should be used for Chinese (ZH-CN)? 

Also, can WOFF2 formats be used?

3 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi, Gloria!

The built-in Rise 360 fonts don’t include non-Latin characters, so Chinese characters might not look the way you’d expect using those fonts. The good news is it’s easy to fix. You'll want to choose a font, download the full font set from the web, then upload it to Rise 360. This article explains how:

✏︎ Note: Rise 360 only supports WOFF files. I'll let our team know that you need support for WOFF2 files.

Brett Rockwood

Hi Alyssa. I wanted to follow up on this. I have not uploaded any Chinese, Japanese, Korean fonts (CJK fonts) but when using the built-in Rise fonts these characters are still (generally) displayed properly, as far as I can tell.

My question is if I haven't uploaded any CJK fonts where are these characters coming from? CJK fonts can be very large, many megabytes, if I upload a large WOFF CJK font is this going to cause any issues?

Brett Rockwood

To add to this, I tried both of the font converters recommended in Articulate documentation here. Font Squirrel does not offer CJK conversion and Transfonter limits the file size to 15MB or less and all of the CJK OFT fonts I use are larger than 15MB. So, it may be easy to convert standard roman fonts to WOFF with one of these tools, that's not the case (at least in my experience) with Chinese, Japanese, or Korean fonts.

I'd be curious to know what other users of Rise are doing in regards to CJK font support.