How to get Lithuanian text displaying correctly?

May 14, 2020

I've had a good search but cannot locate an answer to this - hopefully someone can help?!

I have built a RISE module for a Lithuanian audience. No matter what font I select, I am unable to get the Lithuanian text to display correctly. I have uploaded my own web fonts that should display Lithuanian text correctly however these custom fonts do not appear to be being used to display text in the actual module.

This is some sample text in Lithuanian in Rise preview it displays something like this - the letters are all different sizes and fonts:

What do I need to do to have Lithuanian text display correctly?

When I edit the text it appears to be displaying correctly in edit mode - the font is correct and the text appears to be displaying correctly:

Here is the sample text that I'm using below:

Mokymosi kursą sudaro 6 dalys ir žinių vertinimo testas. Visam kursui užbaigti Tau prireiks daugiausiai 2 valandų. Paspaudusi pirmosios dalies nuorodą, atsidariusiame naršyklės lange rasi trumpą naudojimosi instrukciją. Su atskiromis kurso dalimis Tu gali susipažinti skirtingu laiku, tačiau atmink: jei pradėjai vieną mokymosi kurso dalį, peržiūrėk ją iki pabaigos. Pabaigusi uždaryk langą ir grįžk į pagrindinį puslapį (gali užtrukti keletą sekundžių, kol programa išsaugos duomenis). Žinių vertinimo testą Tu gali pildyti tik susipažinusi su visomis kurso dalimis (užbaigus dalį, pagrindiniame lange šalia jos esantis kvadratėlis bus pažymėtas varnele). Sėkmės!

Is this a bug or something that I'm doing? Any help appreciated!

6 Replies
David Bythell

When i posted I saw some related posts on the right - which eventually led me here (which was updated yesterday): https://articulate.com/support/article/Rise-How-to-Get-Non-Latin-Characters-to-Display-Properly I think i understand the issue now and am now working on a fix! 

David Bythell

Unfortunately it didn't resolve the issue :-( - I downloaded Open Sans from Google Fonts (attached) - this font is Cyrillic Extended and displays the sample text ("Žinių vertinimo testas") correctly in the font viewer:

I then used Font Squirrel to convert this to a web font (attached) and then selected a custom font in RISE and add a Regular, Bold and Italic version. In RISE the text looks great in the editor but the preview does not render the text correctly:

I checked the advanced option in Font Squirrel - however I couldn't see any relevant options so left as default. It may be that I'm not understanding something?