Is Matching question in RISE accessible?

Apr 07, 2021

Hi there, I have searched this forum and articulates guides and I can't find anywhere if the matching question in RISE is accessible?  Can anyone let me know.  We can't use any questions that are not, and this one is nice to use, but I need to know if it is considered compliant.

Thanks

15 Replies
Renz Sevilla

Hi Teresa! Great question, matching drag-and-drop questions and sorting activities aren’t fully accessible yet. Rise 360 follows a logical navigation order for all content, except matching drag-and-drop questions, which are in development.

You can refer to our post Rise 360 Accessibility here and our roadmap for accessibility updates. 

Teresa Vanderpost

Hi Renz,

Just checking in, as I think I may be getting a little confused as to what is considered fully accessible.  When I read this article about Keyboard navigation on articulate, to me it sounds like the learner can completely navigate through the Knowledge Check Matching interaction.

I also thought the flash card flip over was accessible, but not I am not sure.

https://articulate.com/support/article/Rise-Keyboard-Accessible-Navigation

But when I look at the roadmap I sense things are still in development. 

https://articulate.com/support/article/Articulate-360-Feature-Roadmap#rise-360

I think I may be not understanding what is considered fully accessible.  The ones mentioned on the keyboard are they not necessarily fully accessible because you need alt tags on the flip cards? 

Sorry, if it sounds confusing, it is cause I think I am lol!

Renz Sevilla

Hi Teresa! Good questions. Those are considered only partially supported, as either they are not fully keyboard supported due to navigation or due to lack of full support for screen readers.

For more information and a list of features that are supported or partially supported please see our Accessibility Conformance Report (VPAT).

IDEA Team

Hi - I'd like to come back to this question as I'd like more details regarding the explanation. I agree with the original question that it seems if a learner using a screen reader can navigate through the matching-type quiz question fine via the keyboard accessibility actions (tabs, space bar, right arrow, etc.). So Renz, when you state above that "Rise 360 follows a logical navigation order for all content, except matching drag-and-drop questions, which are in development," what isn't logical or accessible yet about the drag-and-drop? I can get the navigation to work fine so I'm just unclear about this. Thank you in advance for any info! 

Mollie McCormick

Sure wish you could accomplish this as the lack of accessibility makes the course interaction much less interesting. Also, how about a numbering/ordering  question where you can fill in multiple blanks in one block? So since I can't do a DND for say, "Order the Five Phases of the Process" I could say "Number the blanks in each statement to reflect the correct order of the Process" -- for example.  

While you're at it, a word blank option for a multi fill in blank and/or a drop-down select for answers would be nice. This are typically easier to make accessible, Or how about an option to "hide non-accessible elements" and let us create a DND and a MC option (accessible) for any question? 

Kaitlin Leaf

Hi all! It seems that drag-and-drop matching is still not fully accessible according to the March 3, 2023 Rise 360 Accessibility Conformance Report (last updated 04/11/23).

In the meantime, has anyone in the community found a workaround for making matching or sorting activities accessible in Rise? 

Teresa Vanderpost

@Kaitln I have not, I just don't put them in my courses anymore.  No hover, no match, sort, drags...but I did see once if you have the resources and time, someone had done a module where they had a drag and drop component, but then they also built a  tab/spacebar/enter exercise.  So the person actually built it out twice once for general learners and once for learners with accessibility issues.  But they did mention it is a lot of work.   I think to get the accessible version of the exercise the learner had to press the spacebar and it triggered that version to appear.

Teresa Vanderpost

Was definitely Storyline, so you would have to create it there and add a Storyline block.

On this link scroll down to Terry Springer, this is the one I remember they did two interactions of the same question.

Note: I don't think you can see the preview in review as it looks like it was published with flash.  But the author has included a "Learn more and download" so you may need to download the storyline file to review.

https://community.articulate.com/articles/choose-your-own-challenge#TerrySpringer 

Here is a newer community chat I found that might interest you:

https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/build-an-accessible-drag-and-drop-interaction-in-storyline

Daphnee  St.Val

I have a similar issue and my own discussion post on the topic got no responses so I am hoping that someone will see this and respond.

Hello all,

I have a biology course I am working on developing in Rise and the SME has these cell images where she wants students to identify the different parts of the cells which she has numbered. I'm concerned that students with visual impairments or color blindness will not be able to complete these questions. Has anyone dealt with this before or have suggestions on alternative ways to present this in Rise?