New in Rise 360: More Course Customization with Themes

Jul 19, 2022

I’m so excited to share our latest release with you. Today, we shipped a huge update to Rise 360 that gives you more creative ways to customize the look and feel of your projects. Rise 360 now includes a variety of scroll-stopping themes—all created by award-winning designers—with more themes coming soon. Apply themes in just a few clicks, or, for that extra-personalized touch, we’ve added the option to customize many theme elements. 

The possibilities are endless, so let’s take a closer look at all the latest Rise 360 goodness.

New Themes

Rise 360 has always been a great option for quickly creating beautiful, responsive courses. And with the addition of Rise 360 themes, you’ve got brand-new ways to add your own unique spin to projects. 

Here’s a quick rundown of each theme:

• Rise—our original theme—is modern and clean-lined. It’s a tried-and-true design choice that never goes out of style.
  • Apex makes a bold, contemporary statement with striking, angular flourishes.
  • Horizon is a great choice when your project needs a design that’s elegant, sharp, and stylish.

You can see all three styles in the image below.

And these stunning new themes are just the beginning. We’ve got even more theme designs in development.

New Theme Customization

Before, Rise 360 theme customization options were found under the Settings menu. Now, we’ve pulled theme settings into a new Theme menu, as you can see below.

BEFORE

Before

AFTER

After

This change streamlines course creation by nesting all of the theme customization options in one spot. Under the new Theme menu, you’ll click to choose your desired theme and then click Save to apply it to your project. It’s as easy as that.

These striking themes were designed to be used as is to simplify and speed the course creation process. But for that extra-personalized look and feel, we’ve added more options to customize elements like cover page layout, navigation type, lesson headers, accent colors, font pairings, button styles, and more. With so many flexible options, you can style your theme to better meet your learners’ needs and easily create more cohesive, branded learning experiences.

To give you an idea of how these new themes can be customized, explore the following examples. We applied each theme to the same course content—and we customized each version with unique colors, navigation, and lesson header styles.

Explore Horizon

Horizon

Explore Apex

Apex

Explore Rise

Rise

What’s your favorite combination? Leave me a comment below.

Summing It Up

The new Rise 360 themes feature opens up a whole new world of possibilities. And we’re just getting started. There are more stylish theme designs in the works and we’re making progress on giving you the ability to create your own custom themes as well. We’re excited to continue delivering features that empower you to create eye-catching, unique learning experiences in record time. 

Want to try out Rise 360 themes for yourself? Head over to your Rise 360 dashboard and start with a new course, a course template, or any existing Rise 360 project. Don’t have Rise 360? Start your free 30-day trial of Articulate 360 now. 

Be sure to keep an eye on our Articulate 360 feature road map and the What’s New page to stay up-to-date on what we’re working on.

133 Replies
Scott Dinho

While I'm pleased with the new options with themes, I'm now lamenting even more that there is still such inconsistency with which buttons and blocks have options to modify specific colors and text. I needed this more than new cover page layouts. 

Our company's primary color is yellowy-orangey gold (#fdb913), which is great to draw attention but not so great for accessibility when Rise defaults buttons to be this color with white text. The contrast is too low. This also goes for hyperlinks and other text that Rise defaults to the accent color. Some I can manually change but a lot I can't.

Some of the new features help, but there are so many blocks that force the accent color without respect to how well it contrasts with the white background or white text, that I can't really use some of the new features without having a hodge podge of button styles and text colors, which just makes the less accessible stand out even more.

Tandy Tillinghast

I can't find a simple way to get blocks to show in blank courses or course templates. I have read tons of articles and watched videos, but my courses don't seem editable. Blocks don't seem to appear on the Preview Page or the Edit option. There are no plus signs appearing on my pages. There are no options between content or paragraphs. 

I can now find a way to add blocks under individual lessons, but no way to change the main page content or add blocks on the main page. I am new here, so I didn't see this topic duplicated, but I can't be sure. There also doesn't seem to be a way to adjust the spacing of the fonts.

What am I missing?

Kelly Doane

HELP!!!!!

I have a course going out to 9000 people in 3 days and now, for the first time, Rise seems to land at the middle of each of my lessons (note the scroll bar location in the pic). The behavior is the same in Preview and in my LMS.

Anyone else experiencing this? I've never had this problem before.

Mid-page scroll

Mary Gaffey

Hi - is there anyway I can delete a cover image once is has been uploaded? You could do this before the recent Theme upgrade but not now (you can delete a logo however so can there not be the same function for the cover photo?). I have a course that I need to update but I feel I'm now stuck a the cover image I don't want.  

Rise 0

Hello! Here is a a scenario that i might not be alone in? 

With the arrival of the themes feature, branding choices suddenly is more extensive for the courses produced. The flip side of this function is that things can go wrong very fast with so many options and a large group of developers.
I see the risk of un-intended consequences to branding consistency in a company with many course designers and no mandate of central control, but guidance and support is appreciated.

Is there a way to distribute the template(s) to larger groups?

I know Articulate support have the "Copy" function, which is a great feature for anyone that have link access to download a copy of the template to their account and it used to be available for more then support before.

I am looking at sending several templates to a long list of users which clearly the "Send a copy function" was never intended to do..

A much smoother way would be to provide a copy link in email or even better in a company e-learning developer Community site.

Can Articulate support setup any "Copy" solution for large scale distribution if we can provide the templates? It is not any sensitive content so security in terms of content is not an issue.

Any solution that doesn't entail working with "Send a copy" as it is today, i am all ears :)

Thank you.

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Tandy. I'm sorry your post was buried a bit! I see that you opened a case with my team as well. If you're still having trouble, feel free to reply to Eric with a screenshot of what you're seeing. 

What you said about blocks in individual lessons versus the course outline is accurate: Blocks are added within lessons. The course outline page is a table of contents for the lessons in your course, and you can't add individual blocks there.

Crystal Horn

Hi Kelly! It looks like we helped you with this behavior in a case. We saw a brief issue with the previous and next navigation buttons, and clearing the cache helped to correct it.

Always feel free to start a case with us if you don't get the answer you need right away from the community discussions!

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Mary. You can choose a cover page layout that doesn't include an image, and you shouldn't see the cover photo show anywhere else.

In order to offer the layouts that do have an image in your Theme settings, we need to keep an image in there as a placeholder. If you decide to use a layout with an image, you can replace and edit the image used.