Problem with Safari

May 05, 2020

Hello,

I'm using MatrixLMS and rise360. 

The students who use Safari can't enter the course because of this problem:

It can be fixed by disabling "Prevent cross-site tracking". But is it possible to fix it in other way? How can I advert the students who use Safari about this issue?

Any suggestions?

Kind Regards,

Ksenia

10 Replies
Jason Robinson

Hi there!

I'm a student signed up for a course that is using Articulate Rise with Instructure Canvas, and the same thing is happening. I can see the course in Safari on a Mac or iOS device if I disable cross-site tracking (which is a bit tedious because I need to disable it each time I enter a course and then enable again manually after I'm done). The course also doesn't work at all in Canvas' iOS app; even though it uses Mobile Safari as its browser, the webkit view within the app doesn't respect the Safari settings regarding disabling cross-site tracking.

Here's a blog post from Canvas that describes what's going on, and provides implementations that LTI’s such as Articulate Rise can consider in order to work around this:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Developers-Group/Safari-13-1-and-LTI-Integration/ba-p/273051

Notably, it sounds as though Chrome and other browsers may be moving in the direction of disabling cross-site tracking by default in the next year or two, so it may be worth digging into this.

Thanks,

Jason

Math Notermans

And reading up this article on Instructure...
https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Developers-Group/Safari-13-1-and-LTI-Integration/ba-p/273051
i read that most browsers will implement this sooner or later...so i do think a solution for this should be build into Rise and Storyline output.. as this will become a problem on more browser in the future.

Math Notermans

This is in fact not a Articulate issue, but a Canvas-Safari issue. As even images for some people donot show on Canvas when used on Safari. All due to the cross-tracking settings of Safari blocking cookies used in a lot of tools. The end of the line, Safari as is is just a really sad browser...