Rise course not being marked as Complete

Oct 26, 2021

Hi,

We’ve had some users attempting to complete our Rise module face issues with the course registering as complete (which makes a completion certificate available). Because they don't need to see every page, the current course completion setting is 55%. The module is hosted on Moodle.

3 users have now emailed us this week that they have finished the module, but their certificate hasn't been generated. Upon logging in to the back end of their Moodle account – we can see they have completed the module in that they are on the conclusion page (well past that 55% mark), however clicking 'close module' does not mark the module as complete for some reason. It is looping back to the conclusion page as a bookmarked spot, rather than a completion hence no certificate. They have confirmed that they have tried pressing the ‘close module’ button. However we know that other people have successfully completed the module in the meantime.

Do you have any thoughts on whether it might be a SCORM-related issue or a Moodle-based one? And is there a solution within Rise that can help?

Thanks,

Rob

9 Replies
Hazel Bartolome

Hi! So sorry to hear that you're encountering this issue in Moodle. 

I would suggest troubleshooting your file in SCORM Cloud to check if the behavior is the same. SCORM Cloud is an industry-standard testing engine that's free and supports AICC, SCORM, Tin Can API (xAPI), and cmi5 content.

This video tutorial demonstrates how to use SCORM Cloud with Articulate content.

You'll also find some helpful LMS-troubleshooting tips here.

If your course works properly in SCORM Cloud but not in your LMS, please share your SCORM Cloud findings with your LMS provider to troubleshoot the issue. 

If the course behaves the same in SCORM Cloud and your LMS, please open a case with us here.

Liquid  Interactive

Hi Hazel,

Thank you for replying.

I've checked the module on SCORM Cloud but it all seems to work and report fine for me, but I guess that's the nature of my problem (and question).

It's only a small percentage of users who are having the issue. The majority of users are fine.

As the certificate is important professional identifier of completion, we're hoping to figure out what might cause this so they have the same experience as everyone else. Rise? Moodle? Something on the user end? 

Hoping you can point us in the right direction.

Rob

Hazel Bartolome

Hi Rob! Thanks for testing your course in SCORM Cloud and letting me know that it is working fine. Since only a small percentage of users are having the issue, it might be something on the user end. Do you happen to have information on which browsers (and browser versions) these users were using when accessing the course? Here's a link for reference with information on supported browsers for viewing Rise courses.

Liquid  Interactive

Thanks for that.

We’ve had more users contact us over the weekend so it's obviously an ongoing issue.

We've checked - they are using different browsers (Chrome, IE, Safari) and a range of devices (PC, MAC).  Most have said they are using the most up to date version of their browser. One even tried on both Chrome and IE to no avail.

We're at a bit of a loss. One user has said they un-enrolled, re-enrolled, and then completed the course without exiting.

Could it have something to do with the Reporting: Complete/Incomplete rule within the SCORM itself – we obviously can’t see what other options there are for that though – do you have any thoughts on that? 

Hazel Bartolome

HI Suzanna! 

Have you tried troubleshooting your file in SCORM Cloud to check if the behavior is the same as your LMS? SCORM Cloud is an industry-standard testing engine that's free and supports AICC, SCORM, Tin Can API (xAPI), and cmi5 content.

This video tutorial demonstrates how to use SCORM Cloud with Articulate content.

You'll also find some helpful LMS-troubleshooting tips here.

If your course works properly in SCORM Cloud but not in your LMS, please share your SCORM Cloud findings with your LMS provider to troubleshoot the issue. 

If the course behaves the same in both SCORM Cloud and your LMS, please open a case with us here.
Suzanna van Petegem

Hi Hazel,

Yes I did, but as Rob pointed out, it's only a percentage of the users who do encounter thsi problem. What we can see is that it seems that the "passed" statement is sent automatically only when closing the module. This however sometimes is forcefully stopped by the browser itself and the statement doesn't get stored because of this.