Rise Course Opening Blank Screen in Chrome

Jan 22, 2019

Hi,

We have our Rise courses uploaded as SCORM packages in our LMS, Blackboard, and have been getting recent reports of students using Chrome (both on Macs & PCs) suddenly only getting a blank new window when they open one of the courses.  When we send them a direct link to the material, it works for them.  We have hundreds of students that don't seem to be having issues, and those of us in the office aren't having the issue either to replicate.  We've confirmed their Chrome is current, flash enabled, pop-ups enabled, etc.  I couldn't find any recent posts about this, but does anyone have any insight?

Thanks!

40 Replies
Allison LaMotte

Hi Kelly-Anne,

I'm sorry that some of your learners are experiencing this issue. Our team is aware of this happening with some Rise courses when they are exported for LMS. The quickest way to resolve this issue is to get your course to our support team. You can submit a case here.

In the meantime, if you have any other questions please don't hesitate to reach out.

IDEA Team

Hi Alyssa - Yes, we had updated the course because there was an issue with some versions of Chrome not tracking student progress, so we had to create a new version of the course that does not have restricted navigation on it. This version is accessed via a different link from the other version.  (I kept and hid the old version of the SCORM file so there would still be a record in the grade center for students who had already completed it). Is there a reason why a new version of the course would create these sporadic problems, if that's the only version that a student has accessed?

This is the only Rise course in our LMS currently. 

Alyssa Gomez

Thanks for those details, IDEA Team. It sounds like you created a new course in your LMS rather than overwriting the existing one, is that right?

If so, I wouldn't expect learners to hit a blank page when accessing the new course. 

• When learners report this issue to you, do they indicate what web browser they are using? Have you noticed any trends?
  • Have you run into a blank page in your own testing?
Patricia Farnan

Hi! We are also sporadically experiencing this issue with one of my courses. This course was accessed by the same URL by everyone...pop up blocker is not enabled, they are all using Chrome. I personally cannot duplicate the issue and some of the learners had accessed it previously. I have made no changes and had them clear their cache. I don't know what else to try. Any ideas?

Jason Monck

We've experienced this ourselves with the 500+ Chromebooks we use for training. We had a tech troubleshoot after we read multiple posts about this issue in these forums (and other ones), and they rolled Chrome back to v84. It worked for us.

If you're able to do this, try that as a test, and if it works, let us know.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Jason! Are you updating an existing SCORM file in your LMS? 

If so, try using the Reset Learner Progress option on the LMS export page in Rise 360. This feature allows learners to view the updated content, and their progress will be reset. They should not see a blank screen when you enable that option.

Let me know if that's what you needed!

Andrew Glennie

Hi Alyssa,

WE are getting this despite using the Reset Learner Progress option. It only happens when the learner has started the module and wishes to return to it to complete it or review a section. This is really frustrating as its requiring us to unenrol and reenrol people to allow them to get back into the module.

Please revert Rise back to its earlier behaviour:-)

Richard DeBord

We just started experiencing this issue. We've been using Rise published as SCORM content in Blackboard Learn for a couple of years and this is the first time we've seen it happen. I tested in FF and Chrome on my laptop and was unable to replicate, a supervisor reported they tested on their laptop and it worked fine but when they tested on a virtual machine (which is what most of our trainees use) they were able to replicate in both FF and Chrome. I was able to do the same in using a virtual desktop. I deleted the module and re-uploaded with no settings change and the new module works. Hoping this was a one time glitch but thought I'd share my experience as I don't see a root cause or fix on this discussion. 

Hazel Bartolome

Hi Harri!

So sorry to hear you are experiencing this.  Can you try the steps below?

1. Please make sure that your browser is updated. Once updated, restart your browser and try accessing it again.

2. Try other supported browsers and check if you are still getting the issue. This will check if the issue is browser-specific.

3. Please access Rise in Incognito or InPrivate window. Pressing Ctrl + Shift + n for Windows, or Press ⌘ + Shift + n for Mac switches you to Incognito mode and disables all browser plugins. Sometimes plugins cause odd behavior, Do you still get the same issue when in Incognito?

4. If the above steps do not work, kindly try clearing your cache to see if it will resolve the issue. Here's how to do it.

If all these steps still do not work, please open a case with us here so a technical support engineer can work with you directly.
Harri S

Nope none of that worked. As I was creating a series of 20+ modules I was using a number of block templates and duplicating elements, I believe this may have been the root of the error. 

I recreated the course in a new Rise project, did not use any block templates or copy any assets from other courses and the new version worked as expected. 

Caryn Carman

Hello - I too have had a few users report this issue in the past 2 weeks from our LMS. I am going to try Andrew's suggestion of publishing back down to SCORM 2004 2nd ed. I can confirm that in our cases it's been upon relaunch, and that I've not been able to replicate but that I can see the issue if I login as that user on my own machine with my own settings. 

Thanks,

Caryn

Andrew Glennie

Hi Everyone,

This might not be the solution for everyone, but we discovered that in our Netdimensions LMS, publishing a course caused it to place the Rise course id code into the Launch Data field un Define Launch Properties. So have a look under the launch properties for a similar field and if theres a long alphanumeric string there, delete it and the issue will hopefully go away.

Andrew