RISE - Publish to Sharepoint 365/Web

Nov 19, 2018

I have managed to publish as web course, however in IE and EDGE browsers clicking the index.html does nothing. I can get the course to open in Chrome however, so it is working just not on those browser. Is this normal?

Secondly, the goal is to publish the web course on SharePoint, however this wants to treat the index.html as a .PDF. Has anyone successfully got a course launching in SharePoint 365?

57 Replies
Barbara Mettler

Hi T. 

Worked like a charm.  I didn't have to do the unblock which is probably specific to your security settings on your companies.  Thanks for posting.   FYI, I had something similar with Camtasia recordings on SP which fix was same, except you had to add a little java, so was expecting this to have another step. Thankfully worked fine. 

Thanks, Barb

Carla Nicolaye

Hi Trish,

I tried to reproduce your solution.

But I have to admit that I already get stuck in step 4 where I cant find the tick box. Not sure if I need it, because I was able to save the copy as .aspx.

However, when I then have it on Sharepoint, all that happens when I click it, is that the file is getting downloaded, and not launching the course in a new browser tab. So I am doing something wrong …..

Trish Mckinney

Sorry I didn't see this until now Carla. You are correct about the tick box. It varies and I also have not seen this in recent months, so this could be related to our specific security and environment as Barbara mentions in her post. 

An additional step that I require now is to be a SITE OWNER of the SharePoint site where I am loading the files. Otherwise, it just tries to download the launch file. Hope this helps.

T.

Chris Undery

Once the course is stored in SharePoint, has anyone successfully got the course embedded inside a sharepoint page as this is what I want to do? 

I've been trying to do with storyline courses for years but never with any consistent success. We came up with a workaround using our LMS (Cornerstone on demand) to store the course and then using the embed webpart in sharepoint to surface it but this doesn't seem to work for Rise courses

Therese Cormack

Trish, in addition to being the SITE OWNER of the site, the site needs to have custom script enabled. When my SharePoint admin team did that on our site, I was able to get this to work!

The issue I have now is that I want to share the SharePoint link to the index.asp file in email or a PDF but when you click the link in the email or pdf, it asks if you want to open or download the file. If you click Open it properly launches the content. I wish it would just launch automatically. Any ideas?

Karin H

Hi Trish, thanks a lot - it works out. But I still have a problem: We implemented Storyline-Parts within Rise. So I renamed die index.html to index.aspx and the learning works within Sharepoint. But when the learner gets to the Storyline-part - Sharepoint wants to open story.html - which isn't working. Tryed to rename story.html to story.aspx - but that was obviously an to easy thinking. ;) Do you or anybody have an idea, it I can fix that in anyway for Sharepoint? Thanks a lot. :)

Bob Mongiovi
Karin Huditz

Hi Trish, thanks a lot - it works out. But I still have a problem: We implemented Storyline-Parts within Rise. So I renamed die index.html to index.aspx and the learning works within Sharepoint. But when the learner gets to the Storyline-part - Sharepoint wants to open story.html - which isn't working. Tryed to rename story.html to story.aspx - but that was obviously an to easy thinking. ;) Do you or anybody have an idea, it I can fix that in anyway for Sharepoint? Thanks a lot. :)

Hi Karin, I'm in the same place.  I'm trying to find where those story.html files are being called from, and need to point to the aspx name instead...I think.

Bob Mongiovi
Bob Mongiovi
Karin Huditz

Hi Karin, I'm in the same place.  I'm trying to find where those story.html files are being called from, and need to point to the aspx name instead...I think.

Update: I was able to get Storyline to play within Rise on SharePoint.  Here's what I did:

1. Create my Storyline interaction/animation, then, instead of publishing to Review 360, publish to Web.
  2. Once published, rename "story.html" to "story.aspx"
  3. Upload those files to a separate folder on SharePoint, and once uploaded, copy the URL to the story.aspx file.
  4. Paste that URL into code for an iframe, like so:
    <iframe src="URL to story.aspx file here"></iframe>
  5. In Rise, instead of choosing a Storyline block, use the Embed block. Click the edit button on that block, and paste the iframe code into the field and press enter. For me, it shows a gray box where the Storyline file would be.  You'll only be able to see it on SharePoint when launched.
  6. Lastly, publish your Rise course to Web, rename "index.html" to "index.aspx", and then upload that to SharePoint, 

That works for me.

One other thing I tested was using the continue button below it to activate once the Storyline interaction works, but it automatically goes active, turning orange.  There must be something in the Storyline block that captures the completion and send the message to the button.

Trish Mckinney

Michael this 'could' be related to your permissions and/or how you uploaded the ASPX file. This is common not only to Rise, but to ASPX files on SP in general. Not sure if this will help you, but worth a try.

ASPX files should be uploaded by 'Site Owners' and not by the members or of the site. When you upload as a 'Site Owner', use the standard upload feature (not drag and drop; not copy/paste) in the document library.

One of the relevant posts I found on this:  Crazy ASPX page behavior in Sharepoint Online document library , getting downloaded - Microsoft Community Hub

Kathryn Rosa  Chambers

Hi. I've been struggling for over a month trying to publish a Rise 360 course on SharePoint. I have selected the "unblock" under security options before unzipping the file, copied the index file and changed it to aspx format. Then when I select the index link, it prompts me to save the file, and opens to a blank screen. .  Interestingly, I did notice that the goodbye.html does open up....  It should be noted this is when I publish with the web option.  Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. 

Trish Mckinney

Kathryn, I recently had a frustrating time loading to a SP site internally. I was told that I was an 'owner' of a site when I knew that Owner vs Full Control are actually 2 different things. As an owner (per company provisioning), the ASPX file behaves as you have described. I could tell that being an owner STILL limited my access as confirmed by the few-er Site Setting options that I could see on the SP site. Once I explained to IT support that I needed full control to upload the files (for them to work properly) they quickly adjusted my permission levels and once uploaded with this access, they work properly. 

For me, it's all about the level of access to the SP site. Has to be Full Control or Admin. There might be other security nuisances in your environment at play, but I would check access level first.

Caryn Carman

Hi,

Thanks for sharing, Trish. Most probably due to SP updates, this did not work for me. I uploaded the content folder to my doc library and when I click the index.aspx URL (which I modified to remove all the extra junk added by SP calling for a download), I get an error page. Has anyone had luck with this recently with SP Online (365)?

Many thanks,

Caryn