Saving Rise Source Files to Local Hard Drive

Apr 03, 2017

Hi

Currently it does not seem possible to save the Rise source files to one's local machine. As we plan do develop some modules in Rise for clients, we would need to send them the source files if they would like to modify the modules themselves at a later stage. 

I understand that there may be sharing of Rise files between accounts for collaborative work in the near future, is there a timeframe for rollout on this? 

Do you know if or how source files can be saved, or when this may be implemented?

115 Replies
Robbi James

Omigosh, SO MUCH YES to subfolders!  Because of my previously mysteriously-disappeared content, I'm keeping two copies of everything my team creates so we always have a backup.  My Rise 360 account looks like a library hit by a tornado.  It takes me ages to find my own content, because I'm a co-manager of everything authored by my team PLUS I'm keeping all the backups.  Yikes.  :(

James Trew

Unfortunately this request has been ignored for 3 years. A reply 2 years ago from my post sounded almost promising: "Saving the source files is still on our radar and this thread is included in the report."
It looks unlikely it'll ever get realised, unless the radar is a really big one ;)
Yes, it's a great tool, but what a shame we haven't seen progress here.

Phyllis Dewan

Hello,

Sorry I am completely new to Rise.  I manage our LMS and I have someone who created a Rise course.  Normally when we have a course I have to put our specific player on the course. for some standardization.  Reading history on this forum I see that we cannot have a file given to me 1) to store all resource files in our own library; and 2) I can't get a file to put our player on it.

Looking at options for Rise I can only export it as web, scorm or pdf.

Is my understanding correct? 

Sorry...but as I said, I am new to Rise.

Thank you

Lea Agato

Hi Phyllis, 

Rise is an online tool, and you need to be logged in on the website to edit and publish your courses.  There isn't a way to download a copy of your course for saving on your drive. You're right, you can export your Rise courses in the following format:

Are you looking to host your published course on a website or LMS? What sort of player do you need to add to your course?

Phyllis Dewan

Hi Lea,

Thank you for responding.  I am the LMS administrator and another associate created the course.  I am trying to maintain an overall catalog of all the course asset files.  It seems Rise does not allow me this opportunity.  We have had in the past where people leave and the course assets are no longer accessible or no one can find the most recent version. 

Thank you again :) 

Mary-Lynne Snedden

5 years ago, this was 'on the roadmap' but for some reason it is no longer. Articulate seems to be missing the point of the request - and on purpose. I see continued comments from staff about not really understanding the purpose of the request and offering non-work-arounds - this is disingenuous. It's strong-arm strategy for sales.

My clients need the source files - not the web or the pdf version, or the media files but the actual source copy that they could upload to Rise for editing after a buying a subscription. They need the security of knowing that if they become unhappy with my services, I can't hold their courses hostage because I'm the only one with access to the material through my Articulate account. They need ownership and control of their intellectual property.

I need the source files - for archiving offline in case you somehow lose the data on your servers. As a professional it's irresponsible for me to not have some sort of redundancy built in for my data and content, but your platform prevents me from fulfilling this basic responsibility. 

Göntje Henke

With reference to the questions of “Intructional Design CPS” and “Steve Davis” earlier in this thread:

As time’s passed by, is there such a thing as an archiving/back-up saving for the projects available by now? (I’m also concerned about the ease of deleting projects or overwriting the better by the worse or alike…)

Thanks,

Göntje