unable to rewind or move forward mp4 videos in video block

May 26, 2020

Hi, I'm looking to import an animation that's been published to .mp4 into a Rise course.

When I create a video block to put it in, the default video (coastline.mp4) allows me to move forward and rewind to any point (as I would expect it to) as allow forward seeking is ticked by default. However, as soon as I replace it with one of my own videos (and I've tried it with various different ones - all .mp4) the ability to move forward or rewind stops working, even though allow forward seeking is ticked. As soon as you try to move forward or rewind, the video snaps back to the start. I thought I'd read about this issue previously, but can't find any mention of it.

15 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi David! 

Which web browser and version are you using? As long as you're using the latest version of one of these web browsers, you shouldn't have any issues. 

Would you mind sharing the video file with our team? We'd like to test it from our side. You can send the file privately by clicking here. 

Taylor Fayle

Hi David. Thanks for the response. I agree. We want to use the videos in a way that almost requires them to watch and then return to them to find answers to certain questions later on. The only way to do that efficiently is to use forward seeking.

@Articulate, love Rise, but this would be a huge help if you could correct it for us. 

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Taylor! Thanks so much for reaching out. We weren't able to recreate the issue in David's course from our side, so we haven't reached a solution yet. Would you mind sharing your course with our team? We'd love to test it to see if we can recreate the problem.

If that works for you, you can open a case here.

David Lockett

Hi, just a quick update on this. 

After some extensive investigation by our IT department, it seems that our IT system was blocking a URL that effects mp4 videos (sorry, I wasn't told which one). As soon as the URL was whitelisted, the ability to scrub forward and back with the seek bar started working on all our videos. 

College Connect

I have the same issue. When MP4 video files are created in replay 360 and then embedded into storyline 360 for captioning when added to rise block users cant control video timeline (seek, move forward, rewind) even with the seek bar activated into player. I have replicated this using mobile, laptop, tablet, desktop devices on a range of networks with same issue.  A solution to this issue would be much appreciated. Thanks 

Jake Baugh
David Lockett

Hi, just a quick update on this. 

After some extensive investigation by our IT department, it seems that our IT system was blocking a URL here that effects mp4 videos (sorry, I wasn't told which one). As soon as the URL was whitelisted, the ability to scrub forward and back with the seek bar started working on all our videos. 

Thank you for this, I was scratching my head for hours to get this solved, you are a savior. 

Nathaly Carmichael

I am experiencing the same issue but not inside the rise 360 course development. I can advance on the "preview" and review 360 and/or any video in YouTube, so IT/security is not blocking anything from that perspective. However, in SuccessFactors SAP something is not allowing this feature to work and the video jumps back to the beginning. Is anyone experiencing this?  Do we need to do something different to the SCORM file?