Way to bypass the starting page?

Nov 04, 2021

I'm building a course that is going to act as a table of contents. The course only has one lesson, and the lesson includes a button stack that links to other courses. I would like users to be able to bypass the starting page and instead open a link directly to the lesson. Is this possible? 

7 Replies
Josh Olsen

Hi Writing Center 👋

Disclaimer: I'm in the process of testing the following workaround, so I can't be confident this will work until I have completed my testing.

1. Get the lesson ID of the lesson you want to start with. You can get this from the editor.
  2. Publish your Rise course to SCORM 1.2.
  3. Download the ZIP file and unzip it.
  4. Open scormdriver/indexAPI.html in a code/text editor (not MS Word).
  5. At about line 41, there's some JavaScript that looks like this
    strContentLocation = "../scormcontent/index.html#preview";
  6. Change the #preview part to #/lessons/ and your lesson ID.
  7. Save the scormdriver/indexAPI.html file and re-ZIP your course.
  8. Upload to your LMS and test.

I’ll post an update as soon as I’ve completed more testing for a current project.

Belinda Karsen

Hi Josh, 

Thanks for sharing this work-around. I have a question about Step 1: Could you explain how I get the lesson ID? I'm not sure what you mean by editor. 

Thanks in advance. I've been struggling with exporting Rise content into our LMS without resorting to the "Tin Can" approach, and your solution seems promising. 

Crystal Horn

Hi Belinda! I saw your question in another discussion as well, and I'm sharing here.

Instead of a workaround to include a single lesson output, we've made it easier to deliver single objectives to your learners with Microlearning! The new Rise 360 microlearning feature will help you get great short-form content out quickly.

We'd love to hear more about what you're building with microlearning!