What happens with Rise courses after you cancel the subscription?

Mar 16, 2017

I want to share a question from a customer:

"Let's say we bought an individual 360 license to create a course in Rise and export it as SCORM. Without other similar projects, we don't renew the 360 subscription.

Some years later our new boss wants to update that course, so we buy the license again for a new period... Will we find that course there and we can edit it? Will it wait for us in  "latent life" status or will it have been removed after a certain time?"

---

36 Replies
Dave Cox

Hi Alyssa,

I really believe that Articulate is shooting themselves in the foot with this attitude. While Rise 360 is a great product, I continue to avoid this product because of this lack of ability to download and save the source files. This ability to save the source files is a critical requirement, not only for large corporations, but for small businesses who need to be sure that they can access the source files for the trainings that they create, even as people come and leave the organization. As a private consultant, this is just as important to me, as I never know when something may happen where I might not be able to renew my subscription. I know, from talking with other developers and managers, that I am far from the only one with this concern. I understand that this is a web-based authoring app, but there still needs to be a way to save the source code on local servers, and then re-upload it to Articulate servers when work needs to continue on the project. It only makes good sense to want to protect your work and assets from loss.

I know that you can't personally address this, but I would be very thankful if you would forward this concern to your management and engineering teams.

Thanks,

Dave Cox

Lon Goldstein

Hello, I am curious if there has been any change in this status of the inability to update Rise courses in the future absent an uninterrupted (with a grace period) subscription? I have a new project with a client starting soon whose content (and timelines) may be perfect for Rise, but again, I cannot in good conscience steer them down this path if there is an ongoing subscription cost associated with the possibility of future updates. 

Marc Taylor

Is there any further update for this request? My colleague and I will be leaving the company before our replacements begin so we won't be able to download and send etc. 

This feels like it's an intentional 'oversight' to me when this was something which was easily achievable in previous versions of Articulate Storyline.

Helen Bound

So following on from all these great questions, which don't appear to have been fully answered, here's my question.

We bought the individual licence just for me , and over the last 2 years I have produced a large number of Mandatory courses we have uploaded to our LMS.

I retire in October and I know someone will need to access these courses to make any edits, amendments etc.

We would buy another licence for my replacement, but what is the best way of getting all my courses to them so they have access to edit. Is it purely through collaboration?

Angelo Cruz

Hi Helen! Thanks for reaching out.

If you are looking to transfer all your content to another user, you'll find some helpful tips in this article about Managing Content When Users Leave Your Team. If you'll be adding another seat to your account, you can just follow the steps here on how to Transfer Your Content to Another Team Member.

However, if you'll need to transfer your content to your replacement and there isn't an available seat to add him/her, you can follow the steps listed here on How you can transfer content to a new user when you don't have an open seat to give them.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else!

Georgina Davies

Hi,

I'm currently using Rise for my Master's degree to create a product for a client that does not have an LMS or server. I am currently paying myself for Rise. If I export to web and provide my client with the link will they be able to continue to access the training with no issues? (I understand that changes won't be able to be made) but will they be able to continue to access and use the training? I'm hoping to get a job as an instructional designer and not need a personal Rise account hence why I plan to cancel it in the future. 

Thanks. 

Angelo Cruz

Hi Georgina! You can export your course to web, host it in a web server, and share the link with your client.

They should be able to access your course even if you cancel your Articulate subscription or after it expires. If you don't have access to a web server, you can check out the suggestions for free options in this article.

Alnisha Simmons

Do Articulate give any warning when they're about to remove Rise courses from their servers? Do Rise courses completely vanish with no allowance to retrieve what's been created?  My expired subscription lapsed by one month (after six months) and I'm being told all courses have been removed. Is this for real? 

Jose Tansengco

Hello Alnisha,

Sorry to hear about your content. 

We don't notify expired users that their content is about to be deleted, but we do send reminder emails 90 and 60 days before a renewal date that a subscription is about to expire. During this period, you'll either need to renew your subscription or publish or export your courses since you lose access to Rise 360 after the subscription lapses. You can check out this article for more information on what happens to Articulate content when a subscription expires: