One question that pops up in our community from time to time is how to track a non-linear, branching course based on learners visiting a specific slide.
One easy way to do this is to use a freeform Pick One question and a Results slide that are both disguised as ‘regular’ slides. Take a look at this tutorial to see how I set this up.
Set up the Freeform Pick One slide
- Create the Freeform Pick One question with a custom button.
- Set your button as the correct answer.
- Turn off the display of any feedback.
- Copy the ‘submit interaction’ trigger from the built-in submit button to the custom button on your slide.
Set up the Results Slide:
- Insert a Results Slide.
- Turn off all the usual options like ‘Show Score’, ‘Allow Review’, etc.
- Remove the triggers that display the Pass and Fail layers.
- Delete any remaining objects and format the slide to match the rest of your course.
- Depending on what you are using to track your course, publish for LMS or Articulate Online.
- Set the tracking option to track completion using the result of this particular Results Slide.
If you prefer, you could make this look even less like a quiz question by moving the button off screen and using triggers to automatically select and submit that Pick One question.
If you have any questions, suggestions or other ideas to share come join us in the E-Learning Heroes Community.