2 improvements I would like to see for Closed Captions in StoryLine 360

Sep 20, 2019

I am so glad that Storyline has a nice and easy way to incorporate Closed Captions for our projects to help those with hearing impairment. But here are a couple of features I would like to see that would help improve the process.

1. The ability to have the Notes section open at the same time as the Edit Captions screen. This would allow the author to copy and paste narration directly from the notes section. I have tried to put the notes on a separate monitor but Storyline does not allow me to access this screen in order to copy and paste. This feature would make it so that I don't have to have another script open and would be a workflow improvement.

2. The ability to customize the captions. I would like to see Articulate give us the opportunity to change the font size, font color, background color and placement of the caption. This would go a long way to helping us create something that will fit many different designs. 

If anyone has any others, feel free to chime in. 

Pinned Reply
Eric Santos

Hi everyone,

I have some great news to share. We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 86, we’ve included important fixes and new features.

Two of the new features we’ve included: 

Launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer to take advantage of this update, and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You’ll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

11 Replies
Ren Gomez

Hi Richard,

Thanks for sharing those features requests with us! Customizing captions is a feature we have recorded, so I'll be sure to add your voice to it! 

I also appreciate your added insight into using the Notes section along with the Closed Captions editor. I’ll be happy to pass your thoughts on to our product team, but you can also feel free to detail them more through a feature request

Rick Maranta
Ren Gomez

Hi Richard,

Thanks for sharing those features requests with us! Customizing captions is a feature we have recorded, so I'll be sure to add your voice to it! 

I also appreciate your added insight into using the Notes section along with the Closed Captions editor. I’ll be happy to pass your thoughts on to our product team, but you can also feel free to detail them more through a feature request

Thanks so much. Will do. 

Take care

Rick

Lauren Connelly

Hi Sarah! 

We've logged this as a feature request to customize the placement and color of closed captioning. We don't have this feature on our immediate roadmap, but we'll report back to this discussion when we have an update. You can stay up to date with what is on our radar by bookmarking the roadmap!

Rick Maranta
Lauren Connelly

Hi Sarah! 

We've logged this as a feature request to customize the placement and color of closed captioning. We don't have this feature on our immediate roadmap, but we'll report back to this discussion when we have an update. You can stay up to date with what is on our radar by bookmarking the roadmap!

Thanks so much Lauren for the update on this. Great to hear. I imagine you will do this but don't forget to add the font size as well as placement and colour. Take care.

Judy Nollet

Hi, Rick,

You can adjust the caption size. That's done via the Player font size

However, as shown in the image above, that also controls the size of the player-level text, such as the project Title and the PREV and NEXT buttons. 

So the real request for Articulate: Add a separate control for the Captions font size!

David Breen

Any word on this? At 100% Player font size, the CC text is probably unreadable for over 50% of the population. To get it to a comfortable size you have to go to at least 150%, which in turn makes your ToC enormous along with all the other text you have on stage (Title, Resources etc.)

Not to mention what it does to the actual links in your resources list. Try it with a list of links where they have over 5 words, it's just a disaster.

This is a broken feature in my mind. 

Leslie McKerchie

Hi everyone,

Great news!  We just released another update for Articulate 360 and included some new features a few important fixes you'll see in the release notes.

The item you'll be interested in is:

New: Make closed captions easier to read. Increase the captions font size up to 200% in the modern player.

Just launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for Storyline 360. Details here.

Please let us know if you have any questions, either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.

Eric Santos

Hi everyone,

I have some great news to share. We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 86, we’ve included important fixes and new features.

Two of the new features we’ve included: 

Launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer to take advantage of this update, and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You’ll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let me know if you have any questions.