360 crashes on version [V3.38.21861.0] cut/copy & media library inserting

Apr 15, 2020

Using latest version V3.38.21861.0. After update 360 keeps crashing with doing the simplest of task. For instance, just moving images in the timeline, it crashed. Saving it crashed. Trying to replace image from media library it crashed.   I notice I had OneDrive syncing the file, so I stopped OneDrive, but I still have crashes, not as often, but hasn't resolved issue. I tried renaming the file often, still crashes. I tried a continuous ping to see if my network was the issue and I have no packet loss. I wonder if anyone else has had issues with this release? 

Investigation of ‘when this crashes':

Constant ping on network although this is a local file on PC, no packet loss.

No OneDrive attached to PC at all.

Crash #1 adding a line shape, went to properties to edit the shape for no fill and line only, said OK and then box looked like a correct/incorrect trigger with text box there. (image attached). Layout of slide is not attached to any quiz templates, it is just a plain layout.

Crash #2, inside practice slide manipulating hot spot trigger. 

Crash #3 same inside practice slide manipulating image from media library. Right-click replace image from media library, located image and said replace, crash occurred.

Crash #4 inserting pictures into blank layout from media library. No packet loss. 

Crash #5 happened during play in the timeline to synch triggers. No packet loss.

16 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hello Cindy and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

Thanks for contacting us and sharing what you are experiencing in the latest update.

I'm curious if the issue happens in any course you are working on or just this particular one?

If you cannot re-create the issue in a new course, I would advise to import the file into a new one and proceed.

If it's happening in any/all files, you should conduct a repair of your software.

Cindy Ross

Hi Leslie, the repair has not been of any value, and it is happening in other storyline files as well. I'm finding most of the issues lie within the media library and cut/copy where it crashes the most. I have uploaded all the images using the view > Media Library and then during the project I use the insert image > From Media File. Once it's selected, the image imports and proceeds crash right thereafter. Same with cut/copy. Hope that helps a bit.

Layne Barber

The content library won't open.  I've done the repair a couple of times.... I have turned off or uninstalled anything that I thought might be creating a conflict... still nothing.. I didn't think that it would be inherent in SL, but having looked over the last couple hours of comments, I am thinking that is so.... I might consider un-installing this version (3.38.21861.0) and try the previous various of March 3 to see if things change.... 

Katie Riggio

Hi there, Cindy!

I appreciate you trying a repair, and I'm sorry to hear about all these crashes. We want to make sure you feel comfortable authoring in Storyline 360 going forward.

Our Engineers are eager to dig in, so I started a case for further communication. Be on the lookout for an email!

Layne Barber

<!doctype html>

Thanks Katie for your quick reply.  I have been working with Chester and today applied his suggestions and reinstalled the updated SL 360... Once installed, I opened the application, and was able to insert characters, icons, illustrations and pictures... video too.... 

Thanks for your patient help and assistance... 

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Tracy and welcome to E-Learning Heroes. 😊

Thanks for reaching out and sharing that you're experiencing a similar issue.

I took a look at the support cases we worked with these users on and in both instances updating to the latest version of the software was able to correct the issue.

• Do you know what version of Storyline you're using?
    • You can check by going to Help > About Articulate Storyline
    • We are currently on Build 3.48.24159.0 of Storyline 360. You can read all of the details here.

Please be sure to ask your network admin to open port 443 and add the domains in this article to your organization's allowlist for your Articulate 360 apps to work properly. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Graham Cohen

I'm having he same issue.  Mostly with the media player.  I have a larger file that has a lot of images (over 100).  If i select an image and right click and replace image from media library 50% of the time it will cause a crash.  I have also found if you scroll to fast within the Ml this also causes the app to crash.  Very frustrating.  I'll try and narrow down exactly what is causing this but it's definitely an issue for sure.

Graham.