Can you speed up the player in Articulate 360?

Jun 15, 2017

I don't think this has been possible before, but can a user speed up the audio on the player in 360?

Pinned Reply
Luciana Piazza

Hello Everyone!

I'm happy to share that we have released Storyline 360 version 72 (Build 3.72.29654.0).

Included in this release is a new feature where you can let learners explore at their own pace by choosing a course playback speed between 0.25x and 2x.

Now all you need to do is update Storyline 360 in your Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let us know if you have any questions by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.

Have a great day!

83 Replies
Lifestyle Medicine

I agree that variable playback is essential.  We work with medical students and staff who often request to listen to the content at higher speeds.  And some learners request this as a desired way to absorb a lot of content in a short period of time.   Lastly, this feature would be helpful during the review process with collaborators as well.  I'm assuming there's not a feature within Review360 to speed up the audio either.  Is there?  

Melanie Long

Agree with the original poster's suggestions. The pace is a bit too slow for people that can read quickly. Having the ability to speed it up to even 1.25x the original speed (and sound like the 1.25x playback on Youtube, not Windows Video Editor) would be helpful to reduce the length of time spent on the modules. 

Math Notermans

If you check the link Lauren shared...
Here are the player controls in Review 360!

Then its clear that this only is valid for Peek video's and projects published as video... so not for Rise or Storyline projects ( although if a video on Review360 has it, it might have the functionality when embedded in Rise, but i doubt it )

As is this offcourse is so limited that its useless. If someone publishes as video... in the end it will not be distributed on Review 360 but on Vimeo, YouTube or similar..and then that functionality is already avaialable. What users are asking for is this option inside the Storyline player!

Carie Whitehead

Just adding another voice to the need for this feature. Our compliance courses, created by a vendor in another tool, have this feature. Because of this, people know it is possible and do not understand why it is not an option in the courses I produce. This is pretty standard in videos and some more basic eLearning Authoring tools, but Articulate seems to be behind. Please consider getting this into an update for Storyline and Rise soon!

Kevin Freeborn

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.  This has taken too long to address.  We have users who refuse to understand why every application they use has this capability except Storyline.

This is impacting businesses' and content developers' livelihoods.  We have invested in this application and built and published for years.  Why does Articulate not care about its users??  In the early days of Studio and Storyline the company was responsive.  

Mark Ramsey

Hi Suman,

This is my new version. 

One difference is that there is a new SL variable, 'numberOfVideos' (currently set to 1). If you have more than one video, you will need to change this variable's value to the sum of all videos.

Sorry I can't go into more detail at this time, but take a look at the code & it should make sense.

Mark

Cass Walker

That control is not evident when I access any course in Review 360, as others have noted. Screenshot taken today is attached.

In a way I'm glad because it would give my clients unreal expectations to have that ability in the review tool but then not have it in the actual live course.

But we've been asking for this in the actual course for what, four years now?

Mark Ramsey

Hi,

My code that controls the speed of the video can also work with audio. Attached is a version of the code, where I changed out the JavaScript call of document.querySelectorAll('video') to document.querySelectorAll('audio') in the control buttons, and this seemed to work.

Like before, you have to sum up ALL the audio bits in the entire Storyline file, then set the variable "numberOfVideos" (I didn't change the name but you can if you want - probably "numberOfAudios" might make sense if you don't mind a little grammatical ugliness) to that summed number. For example, if you have 15 slides, all with a single audio layer, you need to set this number to 15. [It's really a constant & never changes value — Storyline doesn't allow for constants per se, nor arrays (grrrrr.)]

This isn't as nice as Matt's code using GSAP, but it does have the benefit of being a little more universal. I'm just wary of Articulate perhaps dropping GSAP like they did jQuery.

This code will still make the Seek bar fall out of sync with the audio playback, but perhaps you could use the play media triggers, and not use the player timeline. It all kind of depends if you really want to tie the audio to the slide timeline. If that's not a big deal, you could drop the Seek bar, use the Play Media trigger, and then put up an animated GIF (see attached) in the corner to inform the view that an indeterminate-length audio bit is playing back - then make it disappear  when the audio is done playing. This approach is a little less intrusive IMO if you have a long audio monolog, which we have unfortunately many times in our courses.

HTH, 

Mark