Character state change flashes Storyline 360

Jun 19, 2017

Sorry if this is a duplicate posts. Cannot find the original. Timeline cues for character change state. Looks good in preview, but in published there is a white moment, a between state changes of the character. I've tried the fixes I have seen in older threads. No go. I'll try to attach sample slide. Any new fixes I can try?

30 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Roe and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :) 

I'm not sure if I'm not understanding what you are reporting here, but I'm not seeing a white flash when publishing your course.

Check out my published output here. Are you seeing the same issue? If so, please share what browser you are viewing in so I can try to recreate.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Roe, 

I used the same version of Firefox, and I didn't see a flash between states viewing the copy that Leslie posted. The state is changing from one to the next, so that is going to be something noticeable, but beyond that it didn't appear different than Chrome to me.

I'm on a fairly fast internet connection (around 65 mbps) - do you know what you're using? 

Goetz Schucht

Hi there.
Now I found this thread and allow myself to paste the same information (& more) as in the previous one to the subject which was removed:
Sadly I have a very similar issue with the character "Juliet":
She doubles in size between different states for ca. 0.3s
So far I found out that this period is shorter when I start from a local drive.
That of course will not be possible in the real world when starting out of an LMS.

Again this behavior is not visible in the preview but once the project is published, it happens when starting with "story.html" or "story_html5.html".

Info:
I'm using storyline 360 and the browser is IE11

I could really do with an answer and was not the happiest to find this post removed.
So please come back to me with a possible solution.

Thanks in advance

Katie Riggio

Sorry you're also hitting this snag, Alexandra. Happy to lend a hand!

We fixed the issue where illustrated characters could flicker or blink when changing states or expressions in Storyline 360, Update 18. Are you seeing this behavior on the latest update?

If so, would you mind sharing your .story file (even just the character slide is perfect) so I can try to replicate the behavior? You can share it publicly here, or send it to me privately by using this upload link.

I'll delete it once we solve this puzzle!

Suzi Stringer

Hi - I am also experiencing a random white flash when using a slider with an image with multiple states - the flash is at random state changes each time and is highly annoying. It does not happen with layers,but I cannot use layer in my example as this is software training and the layer covers the slider...

Crystal Horn

Hi Suzi. I'm sorry you're dealing with an annoying issue. Were you seeing this flicker with character state changes, or does it apply to other images or objects as well?

If it isn't characters that are flickering, it'll be a good idea for us to have a look at your file so we can address any buggy behavior. With your permission, I'd like to investigate what's happening. You can share your file publicly here, or send it to me privately by uploading it here. I'll delete it when I'm done troubleshooting.

Crystal Horn

Hi Emily. We have some issues open still with HTML5 output showing flickering during state changes. Let me grab a few details from you so I can find out what you're seeing:

• Is this issue happening with characters, or with other slide objects? If with characters, are they illustrated or photographic?
  • In which browser are you seeing this behavior?
  • Do the states contain additional objects?

Thanks in advance!

Ren Gomez

Hi Lis,

Sorry to hear you're running into the same issue! We do still have an open bug where changing the state to a custom state flickers when the timeline starts.

If this isn't what you're experiencing, or if you'd like us to confirm, feel free to share your file with us, and our support engineers would be happy to take a look!

Glenda DeHoff

Greetings!

I am experiencing a similar issue, except I am using a custom character. The bodies are pngs, but the head is an animated gif so the eyes can blink. It is fine when I Preview, but not when I Publish. :(

In the full version of the course, it is much worse and the head disappears altogether at times. 

I am using Storyline 360/Windows 10/Chrome/saving locally

Glenda DeHoff

UPDATE

I am continuing to work on this issue as My course is due soon. I removed the animated head from the states and it helped a little. I am still getting a flash on the head when the slides change and it still disappears sometimes. I even set the properties to"always show" as I have had issues with that before. I wanted the character to persist from slide to slide, but I may have to give up on that idea if this cannot be resolved.

Emily Brien

Hi Glenda! I took a look at your file and noticed something interesting. When I copied and pasted elements from within each state to the timeline of a new slide (as their own separate objects), I noticed that the body objects have a fade exit animation applied. 

I created a new demo character using 2 body poses without exit animations, added triggers to change between the states, and no flashing occurred. See attached.