Checkbox focus order in Storyline 360

Mar 14, 2023

Did something change with the keyboard focus order for checkbox interactions (graded question | multiple response) in Storyline 360? I have a checkbox interaction set to shuffle answers, it's also set to unlimited attempts, but the keyboard focus appears to be random and does not follow the visual order of the page. This has been happening on interactions I've built recently, but not on interactions I built previously this year. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Pinned Reply
Luciana Piazza

Hello Everyone! ✨

I'm happy to share that we have released a new update for Storyline 360 (Build 3.75.30269.0).

In this update, we have implemented a fix for:

• The focus order was incorrect for shuffled pick-one and pick-many interactions.

As a first stepI recommend updating Storyline 360 to the latest version. Here's how:

Update Authoring Apps

If you have any questions, please let us know in this thread or privately in a support case.

Have a great day! 

10 Replies
Wally Hobbs

This is frustrating, aargh, and it goes against web accessibility best practices to not have the keyboard focus order match the visual order and DOM order on the page. We worked hard in the second half of 2022 to make Storyline templates with clear keyboard navigation, and the checkbox interaction was working excellently for us up until one of these more recent Storyline updates. Thank you Sam for replying, at least I know it's not just me!

Lauren Connelly

Hello Wally!

I can see how frustrating this must be! We've tested this on our end with NVDA, and the items are read in the same way they appear on the screen. It would be helpful if we could see a screen recording of your experiencing? Would you mind recording your screen and either uploading it in this discussion or sharing it privately in a support case?

Wally Hobbs

Hello Lauren,

Thank you so much for following up, my colleagues and I always appreciate how responsive you all are to various issues. I was in the process of making a screen recording showing the wonky keyboard nav, and I added a new multiple choice slide for comparison, and it turns out the keyboard navigation was just fine on the new slide. 🤔 Even with answers shuffled the keyboard focus followed the visual focus, so...

...aaargh it appears the problem is with my own multiple choice slide template--it still follows the default Storyline settings for a graded question slide but it has lived through several versions so I'm guessing the slide itself is corrupted or has accumulated too much digital baggage. 🤷‍♂️ Whatever the reason, I've rebuilt the slide anew and it seems to be working fine, so you're spared a screen recording, and that keyboard navigation on shuffled answers is a beautiful thing. Thank you again for your support. 🙏

Wally Hobbs

More specifically, while rebuilding and retesting my checkbox interaction I discovered that the keyboard navigation was thrown off the visual order of shuffled checkboxes after I added an svg to the disabled state of the checkbox. I tested it with a png, and same problem. Once I removed the image from the state, the keyboard navigation again matched the visual order of the shuffled checkboxes. Always learning!

Sam Hill

Hi Wally, this is interesting. This must be why I've experienced the problem with the shuffled CB and RB order.

This sounds like a bug to me. Is this something you've reported, if not I'll try and replicate on my side and report it.

Also, apologies, I clicked "Report" instead of "Reply" to your comment.

Luciana Piazza

Hello Everyone! ✨

I'm happy to share that we have released a new update for Storyline 360 (Build 3.75.30269.0).

In this update, we have implemented a fix for:

• The focus order was incorrect for shuffled pick-one and pick-many interactions.

As a first stepI recommend updating Storyline 360 to the latest version. Here's how:

Update Authoring Apps

If you have any questions, please let us know in this thread or privately in a support case.

Have a great day!