Is there a minimum row height for a table? Storyline 360

Aug 15, 2017

I can't seem to be able to set a row height under 50 pixels, is this a known limitation? Am I missing something?

Thanks,

B

23 Replies
Brian Allen

I shrunk my font size all the way down to 8 and 40 pixels is still as small as I can go with my row height.

With a size 8 font I should be able to go pretty small, I'd think, unless there is a ton of cell padding being applied to the table cells.

Anyways, thanks again Ron, appreciate the help!

Brian Allen
Ron Price

Highlight the table - rightclick>format shape > text box > and adjust internal margins

Ron, that was exactly it - took the margins down to zero and was able to get my 35 pixel row height.

I can see some padding there by default, like 2 pixels, but having a 10 pixel default seems a little excessive for me.

Thanks for the tip - I've already spent the morning building a table out of shapes but I'll definitely remember it next time!

Thomas Versteeg

I think I have found the (or an) issue.

Yes, you can edit margins. I actually think the large 10 px margins are a bit much.

But, I also found that when I have rows in a table, without text inside all of the cells, the rowheight cannot be shrunk down... It looks that the automatic formatting resets the cell to the standard 21.5 fontsize.

As long as there is at least a character inside a cell like a " - ", you are able to shrink the row height to whatever you want.

As an explaination: Row 1 and 2 can be changed in height. Row 3 and 4 can not, because there are empty cells in the row. Row height and margins are in the image. Also see what happens with marked text as it crosses into the cells above and below.

Table and Cell Size

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Thomas,

It looks like Brian shared something similar with our team, and the directions on adjusting row height were as follows: 

1. select the table,
  2. then right click>
  3. choose format shape >
  4. choose text box >
  5. then adjust the margins

I also see that my colleague Wilbert submitted a feature request on Brian's behalf to have more functionality around row height in a tablet. We love to hear more ideas on things you need in Storyline, so feel free to share  yours with us right here. 😁 

Brian Allen

I can get my row height down to as little as 5 pixels, but as you have found it takes a combination of things to get there:

1. Text margins all have to be adjusted to zero, and
  2. Font size for row has to be set to something really low, like "2", for example.

If I do these two things then I am able to reduce the row height to 5 pixels, even if there is no text in the cells of the row. The cells can be completely empty.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Jolene,

It looks like Brian was able to decrease the row height to as small as 5 pixels with no text included. If you're still not able to get it set as you'd like, could you share a copy of your .story file here for us to take a look at - and let us know what settings you'd like to see! 

Jolene Tennant

I have been able to play around an make the cells smaller. I had to adjust the text box settings under format shape before making any other adjustments or it did not work.  Once I formatted the shape, I was able to drag the table smaller. 

I do have alot more to do and the tables get bigger as I go so I will see how well the tables let me adjust them.

Thank you so much for your reply.