Pause/Stop and play videos in SL360 by using the space bar

Jun 20, 2022

Dear Storyline-Fellows,

I am currently looking for a way to pause/stop and play a video by pushing the space bar on the keyboard. Apparently that works after navigating/tabbing to the play/pause-button of the video player which storyline provides. But is there any possibility to make this work without navigating there beforehand with the Tab-Button? Just like I am watching a YouTube-Video and it automatically recognizes that I use the space bar for pausing/playing the video?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Best regards

Bernhard

5 Replies
Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Bernhard.

Thank you for reaching out!

While not a current feature of the video control options, you can create your own trigger for playing and pausing a video using the spacebar.

Since you will be using the same key for both actions, you need to tell Storyline when to pause and when to play. You can do that by toggling a True/False variable:

After creating the variable, add three triggers connected to pressing the spacebar:

• Play the video when the variable is True.
  • Pause the video when the variable is False.
  • Toggle the variable.

Preview:

I hope this helps!

Vincent Olakanye

Thanks Maria Costa-Stienstra. This solution was super helpful and way easier than using layers. I tweaked my command to pause/play the timeline instead and it worked perfectly. You could even see the play/pause icon visibly change without having to create any button/layer. All done on the master slide. I'll appreciation your feedback in case a newer solution has been released or if there limitations to this set up. Thanks.