Storyline 360 behavior of Audio Recording vs Imported Audio

Nov 13, 2023

I reviewed another developer's project and realized that recorded audio (indicated as Recording) in a slide timeline operates differently than the previously recorded audio I import into my projects. 

One key issue in comparing the two approaches is that recorded audio does not automatically play the audio, whereas a trigger to play media has to occur. This can be a challenge on many levels:

1. You can't review the audio to align and sync with other objects in the timeline.  With imported audio, no trigger is needed, and designers can visually see the waveform of the audio and listen to the audio more easily to synchronize other timeline objects with the audio. 
2. The length of the audio recording sticks to the timeline duration. With imported audio, you can see audio more visually in the timeline and adjust its position in the timeline to appear or disappear in the timeline as other objects do.

What stumps me about recorded audio is it appears in the project's media library as an mp3 file. Yet, it does not behave as an imported file. To gain more freedom by using an imported audio file, I plan on suggesting to the other developer that they continue to record their narration on each slide but export and re-import the audio back on the slide to gain some of those benefits.

I could not find discussion points on these differences, but I would appreciate feedback on working with recorded audio vs imported audio.   

Be the first to reply