Storyline 360 - Custom Modern Player

Feb 25, 2021

Hi All,

I’m having a difficulty creating a custom modern player in Storyline 360 and I am looking for some advice.

In the past I have successfully imported and used a custom XML for the classic player which hides all of the elements (i didn't create it).

Now after seeing how useful the modern menu system can be I’m trying to customise the modern player in a similar way (I want to change colours of the different elements: beyond the two theme options DARK/LIGHT).

I exported the default modern player XML then I changed one of the elements to Lime green for a quick test and when I select the custom player it shows correctly like so:
But when I publish or preview the module it resets to it’s default off black colour. Am I doing something wrong or is there a problem with changing the modern player?

On closer inspection after clicking OK to apply the custom player, if I go back into player properties it has already reset back to default.

Thank you all :)

5 Replies
Becca Levan

Hey there, James!

I love that the modern menu inspired you to get creative with the modern player! ⭐️

While we don’t support modifications to the player XML file, we’re tracking requests for customizing the modern player colors, and I’m happy to add yours!

Here's how we prioritize feature requests.

In the meantime, I can’t wait to see what your fellow community members will suggest!

Becca Levan

I'm happy to return with some exciting news for you, James & Maria! 🗞

Storyline 360 Update 54 is here, and it introduces several features and bug fixes! Here's the item you'll be interested in:

NewCustomizing the Modern Player Colors.

Just launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for each application—details here.

Please let us know if you have any questions or reach out to our Support Engineers directly!

Maria Kormentza

Thanks Becca. Great features added!

However if there was a possibility to actually be able to change the  NEXT PREV buttons colouring of the player itself based on states that would be fantastic. There a number of comments from learners that they cannot distinguish between when a button is disabled or normal. Being able to change the individual colour of the player buttons based on states would help us take care of that. Instead, now we have to resort to creating our own customised buttons and add in the slides directly, which defeats the purpose of using the modern player in a way.