Storyline 360 marker issue

Oct 25, 2017

I created a couple of markers to show the popup information (with a title and the contents) and published to html5. When open the page and hover it first time, the marker shows the title with empty content which makes the title out of the position (it supposes to show title only). When click it, it shows both title and contents which is correct. After the first time I hover it again, it back to normal, showing the title without empty contents.

Does anybody have the same issue? Any solution?

36 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Wenqing,

Thanks for including the screenshots. We have seen an issue in Storyline 360 where the title of the marker caption appears outside of the caption itself, and it looks like the same thing is happening in your file.

Would you mind if I had a closer look? I'd like to confirm that the bug we're seeing is causing this behavior in your file. You can either attach your file here in the discussion or send it to me privately by clicking here. 

Alyssa Gomez

Thanks, Wenqing. The problem happening in your file is related to the bug we've reported to our team. Until we find a fix, I would recommend viewing the Flash output since the problem doesn't happen there. 

We're keeping an eye on how many customers this bug impacts, so I'm glad you brought this to our attention. We'll keep you posted on this bug's progress, and I'm sorry if it has caused you headaches!

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Wenqing. The index_lms.html launch file will cover both Flash and HTML5 output. Once the course talks to the browser, it will know which version to launch based on what you chose in the publishing window.

Do you remember what your publishing formats were?  If you chose HTML5 with Flash as a fallback, it will always load the HTML5 output, with the exception of Internet Explorer 8 and 9.

Choose Flash with HTML5 fallback, and it will always load the Flash output unless Flash player is not enabled in the browser.

Wenqing Ma

Hi, Alyssa 

This issue is really bothering me that our project has different marker looking when view in different browser. Is there anything I can do to fix it either through authoring or browser setting.

Our client could see the normal marker shape with IE but wired shape with Google Chrome (please see the attached screen shot). I published the project with Storyline 3, and Flash with html5 call back.

Thank you.

Wenqing

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Wenqing,

Do you know if IE and Chrome are both showing you Flash? Chrome has started to disable it by default, so you may be seeing the HTML5 output instead.  I see you shared a file earlier, is that the same one that's causing you problems? If so, I can take a look at that one to test! If it's a new file, could you share at least one of those slides here. 

Wenqing Ma

Hi, Alyssa

Yes, IE and Chrome (my version: 61.0.3163.100) are showing my flash. Flash has no problem with IE and Chrome. My client said they have some computers that won't allow flash enabled. Therefore, we have to make sure the html5 output should also work the same way as flash does. I found other things are fine but the marker feature brought me a headache. Have you got any reports from others?

Yes, I posted another issue earlier. It's different from this one. The previous one is marker with out of title position when hover it in html5 output -- I have both title and multiple line contents in a label area. This one is the marker label style messed up in html5 output --  the arrow is inverted when hover it. I have only one line in label title area.

Thank you.

Wenqing

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Wenqing,

Yes, we've seen this reported from other community members, as well. Our team is still looking into this bug, and we'll keep you posted on any new information we receive.

As for the new issue you're seeing with the inverted arrow in the marker, do you have a sample slide you can share with me? This issue is new for me, too, and I'd like to have a closer look. Thanks!

Wenqing Ma

Hi, Alyssa

I did multiple tests and found that for html5 publish, the combination of this setting  (Home/Player/Custom/Other/Player size) and browser size would affect marker performance.

If select "Lock player at optimal size", publish to html5, and review in a browser (no matter IE, Google Chrome), marker would be normal in a  browser with big size. When resize the browser (reduced), the marker (arrow) starts to shrink until it goes to invert.

I attached the file for you. You may take a look. It would be appreciated if you could provide suggestions.

Thank you for your help.

Wenqing

Wenqing Ma

My bad, the correct post should be this:

If select "Lock player at optimal size", publish to html5, and review in a browser (no matter IE, Google Chrome), marker is perfect,  but the slide won't be responsive.

When select "Scale player to fill browser window", publish to html5, and review in a browser (no matter IE, Google Chrome), it's normal in a  browser with big size. When resize the browser (reduced), the marker (arrow) starts to shrink until it goes to invert. This setting is responsive. responsive.

Alyssa Gomez

Thank you so much for those details, Wenqing! I'm seeing the same thing you're seeing, when I use a very large slide size like yours (1920 x 1080). It doesn't seem to happen with a smaller slide size. 

I'll get this reported to my team so we can begin looking at next steps. I really appreciate you reporting this to us, and I'll keep you posted on any new information I receive.

Lyn Davis

I have attached a file with a few slides. The marker issue is shown on slide 2.

We have run into some other issues with this latest set of updates and these are also included in this file. Slide 3 documents our difficulty with the Media Completes trigger. When published, the slide works fine but if you revisit the trigger does not occur. Slide 4 shows what happens if you use images with borders and then incorporate the use of states.

I had reported the issue with the Media Completes trigger to support and then let them know about the marker issue so I did give them this file - but without slide 4 with the image issues since we just found that one this afternoon.

Alyssa Gomez

Wow, I'm so sorry you've hit all of those issues, Lyn. To recap, I'm seeing these three bugs in your file:

1. "When media completes" trigger doesn't work correctly in Preview only (does work correctly when content is published)
  2. States are not working in HTML5 if the state has a solid outline
  3. Marker labels are misaligned in HTML5

We are targeting to release a fix for issues #1 and #2 in the next update of Storyline 360.

We're still investigating issue #3, since that one has been tougher for us to replicate. In fact, the behavior I'm seeing in your file looks completely different than what I saw in Wenqing's file earlier in this thread. Here are a couple of screenshots to compare:

Your file:

Wenqing's file:

I'm going to share your file with my team so we can continue our search for a solution to that bug. I'll be sure to keep you posted on our progress!

Wesley Scott

Hello!

I am having a similar issue when publishing with SL3 or SL360.

The marker title text is being distorted but will appear normal after opening the marker to view the content and then returning to the hover.

Is the thinking that this is still an html5 output bug?

Any thoughts or known fixes would be helpful!

See attached for the other files.

Thanks!

Lyn Davis

That's interesting. I downloaded your file and played around with it. I was able to replicate similar display errors that I was getting in my own project in Chrome but IE didn't seem to have the same issues.

Back when I contacted support for this issue they told me to take the animations off the markers but we had decided to use layers as a work-around at the time so we didn't revisit this.

I added a blank line to the marker title when I was working with your file to try to help the vertical spacing. I set the font size for that extra line to 5. This might be something you can use to try to make the text stay in the box.

Wesley Scott

Good idea, that would have been a clever work around.  I am way too far down the (switching to buttons) rabbit whole to go back now though.

You were also correct earlier though, while I had removed the marker animations (pulse and swirl); I did not remove the entrance animation on the markers.  Once I took the entrance animations off of the markers, they started behaving normally again.  Figured that one out after I noticed the markers inside the layers had no animations at all...

Hopefully this bug will be fixed in the near future.