Forum Discussion

TristaTodd-cc61
Community Member
3 months ago

The Next button

I have set a trigger for the "next" button to be hidden at the beginning of a timeline and to return to "normal" once 4 objects have been selected. This goes as planned in any order the objects are selected, until the close button on the 4th layer is selected. The next button goes away when the 4th layer is closed. Again, this happens in any order the objects/layers are visited. It's almost as if closing the last/4th layer cancels out the trigger for the next button to appear. Using a true/false variable has been suggested but I don't recall ever having to use variables for something this simple before. Has something changed?

• Hi Trista,

I believe I have helped a couple of people on this forum who have had things not work right when using the "visited" state. I am not sure I trust Storyline to always accurately read when something has been visited. I can't say definitively, but I think Storyline may have a bug in it regarding "Visited". When a separate state or variable is used, things seem to work.

I recommend using separate variables, such as having a T/F variable to change the state of the next button and then having the variable change to True after other variables are triggered, such as the timeline starting on 4 layers if you want all 4 to be visited before the Next button is visible.

Maybe other people could chime in on the question of whether Storyline always recognizes a "visited" state or not.

• States are mostly reliable as long as you stay on he same slide. Still, as Kendal says, initiating a trigger using "State is..." for the When part is sometimes questionable. Variables always are reliable.

What you are describing should generally work. The fact that it fails the same way for every layer suggests a logic problem. But troubleshooting is just guessing without seeing the .story file. If you upload it, someone might be able to solve the issue. Here are the best practices for uploading a .story file:

• Only include slides that are related to the problem.
    • Be sure objects, layers, motion paths, and variables have meaningful names.
    • If there is proprietary content, replace or delete it. For example, replace proprietary text with “lorem ipsum” text.
    • Use a browser to come to this page, and click "Add Attachment at the bottom of your post to upload.