Forum Discussion

NormaKaplan
Community Member
2 days ago

Audio not playing with Video

Storyline.

I have a video file and an audio file. I pause both when the timeline begins. When the user clicks the video, I want the audio to play. The video plays, but the audio doesn't.

I even tried variables. I set the variable to true when the user clicks play on the video.

I tell the audio to play when the variable is true. 

Nothing works.

I'm missing something!

Thanks,

Norma

NormaKaplan
      Community Member

I thought of that, and I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Thank you!

• Hi NormaKaplan,

I'm sorry to hear you've hit this roadblock!

Are you able to share your .Story file so we can take a closer look at how your course is set up? You can upload that here or privately in a support case if you prefer. We'll delete it from our systems once troubleshooting is complete.

• Hi, Norma. 

Thanks for reaching out! As my colleague Kelly mentioned, we're happy to take a look at your .story file for your specific scenario.

However, I wanted to share how I was able to get the audio and video to play at the same time, in case this helps you. Here are the steps:

• When you insert the video, select "Play video when clicked" under Video Tools>Options.
    • Create a trigger to play the audio when the user clicks the video.

I'm attaching a sample .story file here.

Let me know if this works!

NormaKaplan
      Community Member

Thank you for the file. When I follow your example, my video and audio works.

If I show the video controls, the trigger for the audio doesn't work.

Since I wanted the learner to be able to start and stop the video (which will start and stop the audio), I had set up triggers, to no avail. I have used triggers and variables in the past, so I'm not new to this.

The file is .mov from Envato. 

Here is my story file. Thanks for your help.

MariaCS
        Staff

Hi, Norma.

I have a couple of workarounds for what you’re looking to do, but I’m confident other members of the community might also have additional suggestions. 

• Option 1: Use two custom buttons to Play and Pause.
        • Option 2: Use transparent shapes over the video controls. You will also need a variable that toggles between Play and Pause and a few additional triggers. The caveat is that the user will not be able to scroll through the video; otherwise, both the audio and video will be out of sync. 

I created a short Peek 360 recording showing you the two options, and I’m also including the edited .story file. 

Let me know if this works!