Forum Discussion

RobertLeBlanc
Community Member
2 months ago

Avatar Picker - If user clicks more than one button each of those avatars shows up in presenation

I am running into a wall on utilizing "button set" to have learner select an avatar and then carry that through to the remainder of the presentation.

I have 6 avatar choices and created a button set for all of them.

I created a true/false variable for each avatar with the default state to "false"

I then created triggers for each of these: adjust variable, set avatar1 to true when the state of avatar1 is selected. 

The functionality works and the learner can click through all the avatars and they highlight as clicked.

I then created a second slide and have each of the avatars transposed on it and state set to hidden.

I then created triggers for each avatar: Set state of avatar1 to normal when the timeline starts on this slide if avayar1 = value true.

Issue:

If i preview the section and click on one avatar and then continue, works like it should. Only that avatar is seen through the whole presentation. 

But, if you click on avatar 1, then change your mind and click on avatar3, then change your mind and click on avatar5. Only avatar5 will be highlighted, but when you go to the next slide, you will see all avatars that were clicked on the pervious slide, rather than just the last one you decided to choose.

New to articulate, but seems like an issue with it storing the "selected value" for every avatar that is clicked, when I want it to trigger based on the avatar in the "button set" that is selected when the next button is clicked.

Hope this makes sense. A week into using storyline, so work in progress :)

Attached file.

Regards, Robert

• Making a button set is a good idea because it allows only one of the set to be in a selected state at any one time.

The problem is the individual variables are set to true When the state is selected, and never set to false if it is deselected. In more technical terms, you are incrementing, instead of counting. Incrementing is frequently a bad idea, because, as you have seen, it leads to inaccuracies if the learner clicks something twice, or changes their mind. Better is to count (or check) at the end. In your case, the trigger for Abi is changed to this:

That way, you save your energy until the learner is through fiddling around and has made a final decision. A quick check tells you what the decision is and you have to make only one change.

Another option would be to use only one variable, and set it to different values according to the last selected avatar. While that is a very serviceable idea, I don't recommend it in this case, because you have built a bunch of slides using all the different variables. It would be a lot of unnecessary work to change them all on each slide. That is why I recommend changing only the triggers on the choice slide, and letting your other slides continue as normal.

One thing I would recommend for next time. Put these triggers on the Master, instead of re-inventing them on each slide: