Forum Discussion

JohnPotts-7df99
Community Member
3 months ago

Course complete, but menu items still locked

Using Storyline 360 and menu items remain locked, even though they've completed the entire course (see screenshot attachment). Any idea why?

• Hi John,

At first thought, you are dealing with two different variables: 1) whether or not the course is marked "complete", and 2) whether or not the slide has been viewed or unlocked. I believe they can be independent of one another. In other words, you do not necessarily have to view all the slides in order to complete the course, depending on your settings.

If you look at your settings for course completion by going to Publish, then choosing LMS as the option on the left, then choosing Reporting and Tracking, and finally Tracking, you will see the different options you can choose to have the course marked completed. Note that whichever criterion is completed FIRST, will mark the course complete. Again, depending on your settings, it might be feasible for someone to complete a quiz, not view all the slides, and yet the course is marked "complete."

Based on your screenshot and issue, my guess is that you have a completion criterion that is being triggered, even though all the slides have not been viewed/unlocked.

As you may know, to change your navigation restriction (locked and unlocked) you can go to Player>Menu>Gear icon>Navigation Restrictions.

You can let us know if there are more details in your project to prove this idea right or wrong, but I would recommend looking at your 1) completion setting criteria, and 2) navigation restrictions. Altering one or both of these may get you the result you want.

• Thank you for your response Kendal, but maybe I didn't word my issue properly.

Looking at the screenshot I attached, it shows the final slide for the course (meaning they have visited all the slides in the course), yet slides that they've already visited (all 3 scenario slides and the Knowledge Check slide) still show a LOCK icon next to it in the menu, whereas other slides they've already visited (Mission, Vision, Values, Who Are Our Customers?, etc) show a CHECKMARK indicating they've already visited that slide.

Tracking is set to Slides Viewed (36 of 36).

So my question is... "If they've visited ALL 36 of the slides, why do some show CHECKMARKS while others still show LOCKS?" Why don't they ALL show CHECKMARKS?

• Ahh, I see. Sorry about that.

So the question is not "What marks the course complete?" The question may really be, "What marks a slide complete?" to receive a checkmark and NOT a locked icon.

It does appear that the answer is that the slide is visited, as I received a check mark on a quiz slide, even if I had not answered it.

After searching the Internet, some things I found were:

If none of these help, maybe someone else will chime in or you can submit a support request.

• Storyline is up to date and there are no lightboxes used in the course. I rearranged the course to be in 1 scene instead of  4 scenes, and that seems to have fixed the issues of the lock, but it still doesn't explain why visited slides still have the lock on them. Hopefully, someone from Articulate will see it and comment. Thanks for taking time to look at it :)

StevenBenassi
      Staff

Hi John!

Glad to see Kendal has been helping you!

It would be easier to help troubleshoot this behavior if we could see the .story file you've built out so far. Do you mind sharing a copy here in the discussion or privately through a support case?

We'll delete it from our system as soon as we're finished!

• Hi Steven. Unfortunately, due to the nature of our industry (highly-regulated state entity), I'm unable to share the source file, but maybe understanding the criteria for "checks" and "locks" in the player menu better might shed some light on why this is happening.

As I mentioned in a previous comment, Some sections like the Scenario slides and the Knowledge Check slides, even though they were visited, they still show a "lock" next to it in the Player menu (shown in the original attachment), yet the sections for the Introduction, Customer Needs, and Understanding Customer Needs completed.

So this has to do with Slide completion in the menu and how it's displayed ("lock" or "check"), not course completion.

JoseTansengco
      Staff

Hi John,

Thanks for the additional information. I can confirm that we are currently monitoring a known bug in Storyline 360 that causes issues with the check mark and lock icons on scenes in the course menu. I've added this ELH thread to the report so we can notify you as soon as it is fixed. 

In the mean time, a workaround is to show the slides of each scene, similar to what is shown here: 

Let me know if you have any questions, and we apologize for any inconvenience this bug may have caused.