Forum Discussion

TamaraCraft-62f
Community Member
2 months ago

Can't get a straight line - need it ASAP

Hello!

I've been fighting Storyline for days now, trying to make a straight line. I'm building a course with decision trees and I need straight vertical and horizontal lines between text boxed. I'm using Insert > Shapes > Line. I've even used the Guidelines. I'll draw a straight line, but when I release the mouse, the point jumps and leaves me with a crooked line. Nothing I do will allow me to adjust the line to 90- or 180-degrees. BTW - Similar issue with lining up shapes. Shapes are spot-on with the guides when viewed in Storyline, but when you preview or put it in the LMS, the shapes are offset.

• Hold Shift while you are drawing.

It may be easier to prevent jumps if you use a mouse rather than a pad.

You might try setting snap to shapes.

AndrewHanley
      Community Member
      Walt Hamilton

Hold Shift while you are drawing.

It may be easier to prevent jumps if you use a mouse rather than a pad.

You might try setting snap to shapes.

Walt is just too quick and got in while I was typing!
      Sorry Walt! :D

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Hi Tamara, sorry to hear about your straight line woes.... but fear not, the answer is easy and we'll get "straight" to the point (.....sorry) :)

So first thing is to HOLD THE SHIFT KEY when you are creating your line. Holding this down while you click and drag the line out will force the line to be either perfectly straight horizontally or vertically.

Secondly, you might want to check your GUIDES setting as it sounds like your Storyline is trying to be helpful (and failing!) by snapping your objects to your guidelines or grid.

You can change these settings by clicking this button...

Finally, you can also use the X/Y and H/W numerical values to take any line or shape you want and force it to stay perfectly straight horizonally or vertically. This is super easy and the normal way I adjust lines in my projects. You can get very quick at this when you get the hang of it.

Simply adjust the values here to get perfect straightness every time...

Now you should be able to do straight lines and perfectly lined up shapes and assets in every project.

Let me know how you get on, and if its still misbehaving!

TamaraCraft-62f
      Community Member

Oh! I didn't think about working with the positioning values. I'll practice with those too! 

Thank you!

• WOW! Holding the Shift button did the trick! I'm using a mouse  - check! If I have any more issues, I'll try to snap to shapes. 

Thank you so much for the super-fast response!

Have a good weekend!